Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FTTP questions  (Read 5577 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
FTTP questions
« on: July 20, 2022, 02:58:43 PM »

Hi all,

FTTP has been ordered now we've got it in my area - I'm very excited (how's that for sad!).

I had a few curious questions.

The 900Mb package, is the maximum achievable speed 1000Mbps? As far as I understand it 1 Gb ethernet port can't actually achieve 1Gb, it's 940Mb, is this right? Is the Ethernet port out of the ONT 1Gb or is it 10Gb?

What is the maximum achievable upload speed?

Thanks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTP questions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 05:42:59 PM »

The 900Mb package, is the maximum achievable speed 1000Mbps? As far as I understand it 1 Gb ethernet port can't actually achieve 1Gb, it's 940Mb, is this right? Is the Ethernet port out of the ONT 1Gb or is it 10Gb?

A circuit provided over the Openreach GPON infrastructure can transfer bits at a maximum rate of 1 Gbps. However that bit stream includes all the overheads that are required to transfer Ethernet frames between an ISP and the end user. Hence the end user will not see 1 Gbps when performing a "speed test" (whatever that may be) but something in the region of 940 Mbps. Therefore you will typically find that ISPs will sell such a service as 900 Mbps.

Which service provider have you chosen?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 05:56:35 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 05:52:41 PM »

The Openreach ONTs are 1Gps and would need to be swapped to support higher speeds

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 06:44:33 PM »

A circuit provided over the Openreach GPON infrastructure can transfer bits at a maximum rate of 1 Gbps. However that bit stream includes all the overheads that are required to transfer Ethernet frames between an ISP and the end user. Hence the end user will not see 1 Gbps when performing a "speed test" (whatever that may be) but something in the region of 940 Mbps. Therefore you will typically find that ISPs will sell such a service as 900 Mbps.

Which service provider have you chosen?

TalkTalk.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 07:30:00 PM »

Talktalk are offering you a 900Mbps service?

As you know, I am on the same exchange as you but am only offered their Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 products..

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 08:57:30 PM »

Talktalk are offering you a 900Mbps service?

As you know, I am on the same exchange as you but am only offered their Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 products..

Yes although I only chose to go for 500 this time. Install is scheduled for the 8th August

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 09:31:18 PM »

Yes although I only chose to go for 500 this time. Install is scheduled for the 8th August

Odd.. their checker doesn't seem to recognise the postcodes near me as being FTTP enabled. I wonder why.

The lines would be going to the same handover exchange so Talktalk would have connectivity there..

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 09:24:30 AM »

So if the ONT is 1Gbit and the Ethernet port coming out of it is 1Gbit, as far as I understand it's impossible to achieve 1 Gbit as in my experience over 1 Gbit Ethernet you can't achieve 1 Gbit?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 10:14:50 AM »

Odd.. their checker doesn't seem to recognise the postcodes near me as being FTTP enabled. I wonder why.

The lines would be going to the same handover exchange so Talktalk would have connectivity there..

what does https://bidb.uk/ show?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 10:56:05 AM »

@GigabitEthernet Looks like you are agreeing with yourself, as you stated in your opening post you can't get 1Gbit/sec over a 1Gbit Ethernet connection. :o

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »

@GigabitEthernet Looks like you are agreeing with yourself, as you stated in your opening post you can't get 1Gbit/sec over a 1Gbit Ethernet connection. :o

I am sorry I wasn't clear.

What I mean is, I know the GPON is at 1 Gb but am I right in saying it's impossible under any scenario to actually achieve 1 Gb because of Ethernet limitations?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 12:18:22 PM »

what does https://bidb.uk/ show?

That Openreach FTTP is live.. has been for about a month now. This seems like a Talktalk issue - it doesn't occur with other ISPs

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 03:15:54 PM »

That Openreach FTTP is live.. has been for about a month now. This seems like a Talktalk issue - it doesn't occur with other ISPs

Yes, takes TalkTalk about 40 days to get their backhaul in place at the exchange...

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 03:28:52 PM »

Yes, takes TalkTalk about 40 days to get their backhaul in place at the exchange...

I'm on the same exchange and just ordered 500 yesterday. It's Wandsworth, I'm sure they already have the backhaul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 04:28:20 PM »

What I mean is, I know the GPON is at 1 Gb but am I right in saying it's impossible under any scenario to actually achieve 1 Gb because of Ethernet limitations?

Yes. (Though I would not use the word "limitations".)

The best way to think of an ONT is as a media convertor from optical to electrical / from electrical to optical, along with electronics to perform the protocol transformation.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3