Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: YouFibre Install Day!  (Read 4586 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: YouFibre Install Day!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2022, 02:27:05 PM »

Got a call from the installers on Thursday saying they'd be with me first-thing Friday.  And they were!

That's encouraging.

I took a look outside afterwards, as I thought I heard drilling.  Saw that they'd also replaced the CSP box.  Instead of a rounded-top one, it was rectangular -- and fitted much better to the wall.

Hmm . . . I can't mentally picture the two CSPs you have described. If you can make an image of the new CSP available to view, it would be appreciated, please.

So, new CSP box, new fibre to the ONT and new splice.  All sorted.

Excellent.

Now, just to figure out how they do IPv6.  With a straightforward pfSense DHCP6 config on the WAN, I'm seeing SOLICITs work, but REQUESTs go unanswered.  The Eero works fine, so clearly I need to have a tinker.  Will stick an ethernet switch with port mirroring between the Eero and the ONT so I can spy on what it's doing with Wireshark so I can try to hit pfSense until it does the same thing.

Agreed. That's the way to do it!  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2022, 05:13:37 PM »

Still working well!  And attached is a photo of the new CSP.  I'm reasonably sure the previous one had a curved top, possibly with the hinge on the side. 

I did as I said and spied on the eero.  It requests a prefix (a /56), but not an IP for itself.  Plus, DHCP's happening before any router advertisements are received.  So I configured pfSense appropriately and... it worked.  Turned on Router Advertisements and DHCPv6 on my LAN, which was set to 'Track Interface'... and it's all working.

Devices on my LAN pick up globally-routable IPs within my prefix alongside their link-local addresses.  Superb!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 05:17:30 PM by displaced »
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2022, 06:19:09 PM »

Ok -- small correction to the above, re: ipv6.

I noticed that the pfSense box itself couldn't ping out to public ipv6 addresses.  It just hangs.

For example:
Code: [Select]
[2.6.0-RELEASE][admin@heimdall.home]/root: ping6 google.com
PING6(56=40+8+8 bytes) 2a0e:xxxx:0:xx::299 --> 2a00:1450:400e:801::200e

So I unticked Only request an IPv6 prefix, do not request an IPv6 address to no ill effect on my clients' v6 connectivity.  But no joy.  Hmm.  Gonna go off and do some more reading.  I'd like the pfSense box to have ipv6 connectivity itself if only because it's stalling pkg updates whilst it tries and fails to use v6 before falling back to v4.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2022, 06:36:56 PM »

. . . attached is a photo of the new CSP.

Thank you. (Not one that I have seen before.) A simple query: I am assuming that the incoming fibre is contained within the black cable that comes from the right and the internal fibre exits the CSP through the back?

I did as I said and spied on the eero.  It requests a prefix (a /56), but not an IP for itself.  Plus, DHCP's happening before any router advertisements are received.  So I configured pfSense appropriately and... it worked.  Turned on Router Advertisements and DHCPv6 on my LAN, which was set to 'Track Interface'... and it's all working.

Devices on my LAN pick up globally-routable IPs within my prefix alongside their link-local addresses.  Superb!

<b*cat smiles enigmatically>  :)

I noticed that the pfSense box itself couldn't ping out to public ipv6 addresses.  It just hangs.

Hopefully that last niggle will not prove to be too difficult to resolve.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2022, 08:12:13 AM »

Just for anyone else reading this, it's a /56 that's advertised and is what you need to configure on your WAN interface :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2022, 07:00:51 PM »

All subsequent posts have now been split off into a new topic: "Calling any YouFibre End Users"

Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything