Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Today I opened my 16-port switch  (Read 2953 times)

neil

• Reg Member
Today I opened my 16-port switch
« on: July 12, 2022, 07:53:20 PM »

Today I opened my 16-port switch to clean it. And I also have a problem with it, after power failure it works fine but printer refuses to work and I am unable to load login page of the switch. Sometimes it works fine after power failure but sometimes I have to manually restart it for it to properly work.

tplink sg116e hardware version 1.20
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Today I opened my 16-port switch
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 10:21:42 PM »

I'd look at re-flashing the firmware, it could be the NAND has become unstable.

Depending on ability, maybe also replacing those electrolytic capacitors just in case they've gone bad.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 10:22:49 PM »

Are there any fans in the case? Or is it convection cooled? I'm just wondering if it has ever experienced an overheating event which might have caused damage.

From your mention of a login page, it's clearly a managed switch. Is it running the latest firmware? If not, it might be worthwhile checking the release notes for the latest firmware to see what problems have been fixed or what features have been enhanced.

Alex's suggestion may well be all that is needed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 10:34:31 PM »

I've literally experienced a router lose its firmware and a re-flash from recovery mode restore it.  Just one of those weird quirks that can rarely happen.

Its also not uncommon than a firmware upgrade behave oddly and re-flashing the same firmware magically fix it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 12:13:06 AM »

it's an easy smart switch from tplink here is the website link.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/easy-smart-switch/tl-sg116e/v1.2/

It came with the latest firmware.
No fans in the switch.
I don't think overheating issue less than half the ports are in use.

I also asked for help from tplink support contact page on the website, still no response.

I found out about the issue when I was trying to print some documents and the PC was unable to communicate with the printer. I reinstalled the printer software, reset the print and reconfigured it but still the PC was unable to communicate with it. Then I decided to check my openwrt router settings, everything was ok. Then I thought maybe the network cable is bad, changed the connectors still nothing. During this time the internet was working fine on my PC connected with the same switch. Finally, after all this trouble I decided to check the switch login page, no response no ping and finally after power cycling the switch, the printer started working.  :)

I have one more question how was the internet working fine on my PC and WIFI was also working but PC was unable to communicate with the printer? Static IP on printer and PC outside the DHCP range.

And I flashed it with the same latest firmware from the website today.

And I also forgot to mention power failure aka loadshedding is a daily routine. So maybe that's also the reason  :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 12:30:33 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 03:10:57 PM »

Might be worth replacing the PSU itself, as it could be the components in that are failing due to the power surges when AC is restored.   Probably also a good idea to get a UPS or at least make sure its on a surge protector (and if it is, replace it).

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 06:43:28 PM »

Today again the switch went haywire without any power failure. It was working fine till evening but at night IPTV was not working, no ping to switch IP, unable to load switch webpage.

I think something is wrong with my switch.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 06:45:57 PM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 11:55:55 PM »

Perhaps the time has come to just invest in a new switch.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 04:09:50 AM »

Before this easy smart switch from tplink, I was using simple dumb gigabit switch, it was also causing same issues, would stop working at certain times specially at midnight.
I think something is wrong with my openwrt pi4 router.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 10:56:21 AM »

I think I have the same problem as mentioned here.

https://superuser.com/questions/1681893/unmanaged-switches-keep-breaking-every-month
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 01:54:51 PM »

Today again switch stopped responding. I tried to reflash it with earlier version of firmware but it gives error. Flashed it same firmware again and reset all settings. Lets see  :'(
VDSL FTTC 35/18