Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AA and CityFibre  (Read 4331 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
AA and CityFibre
« on: July 12, 2022, 02:24:37 PM »

See article at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/07/isp-andrews-and-arnold-plan-cityfibre-based-fttp-broadband.html

Note that the article is inaccurate in saying that AA only uses BT / BTW as a carrier; AA also has made use of the wholesaler TalkTalk Business’ network too for a long time now. And before that AA used both BT and BE.

It would be great if AA could in this way offer an affordable symmetric gigabit FTTP link for domestic users and small-medium businesses rather than the horrifically expensive resold BT dedicated link FTTP services that they offer at the moment.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: AA and CityFibre
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 02:41:30 PM »

I'd love AAISP to use CityFibre, I was actually thinking that would be my preferred backup connection to replace their L2TP, as its somewhat unreliable when Three 5G is having a bad day.

A really basic 100/100 service for example would be appealing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 03:02:40 PM »

So from that article, it seems certain that it’s going ahead. For some reason I don’t understand the mention of limitations (or restrictions) in CityFibre’s reach when it comes to Scotland - very confusing. There was a mention of ‘England’ which could either be correct for some reason, or could be a simple mistake; and I wonder what happened to Wales? (Is Wales just part of England, Henry VIII-style ? Nowadays we so often see stuffy text referring to EnglandandWales over and over.)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 03:39:12 PM »

Did you read the comments?

Honestly, it’s not that there’s no love for Scotland! There is plenty!

But the National Access product which we are taking presently only gives us reach in England. We do feel this might change, in time, but cannot promise anything. 100% not a slight; we’d obviously love to be able to deliver services north of the border, and do hope to be able to do so in time.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 04:27:32 PM »

Yes, I noticed that, but didn’t entirely understand it. Why is the CityFibre deal’s availability England-only currently, when another poster said that there is already a CityFibre presence in the Central Belt, iirc? Perhaps it’s just badly worded and it’s down to CityFibre expanding their range, nothing to do with AA.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 04:33:06 PM »

Seemed pretty clear to me, CityFibres service National Access for some reason is England only at the moment.  Which is quite ironic given that I'd associate National to mean whole UK.

I wonder if there is something specific to do with Devolution that means regulatory wise they have to broker deals differently in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »

Agreed, this use of ‘nation’ is surprising, as you say, and the raison d’ être of the deal is odd, unless you have found the answer.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 04:52:00 PM »

Cityfibre seem to have a strange layout in their network.

Manchester seems to be missed off their 'Fibre Cities' section.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 10:10:45 PM »

I wonder how quick they can get their first customers connected, as I may have the ability to go with CF sometime this year.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 10:19:53 PM »

Looks like CF will be dead last here, Virgin were laying ducting and preparing to install cabinets before OR had finished my neighbourhood.
Its a shame as I would have gotten Zen with them but now presumably wont be able to change for 2 years.

Not that 900/100 is slow mind you, but symmetrical would make remote backups a lot more practical.

I wont be getting Virgin purely as I don't like how they convert to COAX outside the property and part of my plan is to cut down the number of paths for lightening to get in, not to add a new one.  When my modem got fried years ago, it didn't hit the phone line, it was only near it.

That said, backup fibre itself is somewhat unappealing compared to how cheap 5G backup costs.  So its kinda more likely I would migrate Zen over to CF then see if I can get Broadband Essentials on the OR fibre, as that's the only thing cheaper than Three 5G.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 01:10:00 AM »

Well if you have VM working in your area you are one of a lucky few as I dont think they started their main Docsis to FTTP rollout yet?

Openreach I expect will be several years behind CF in my area as they will likely wait for CF to finish, then about 6 months later add it to their planned list like a vulture.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 03:00:42 PM »

I'm under the VM expansion, they never did this section of the estate, though nothing official just physically seeing them doing the work.

BIDB still says unknown for VM despite lots of works on there.

CF have tons of work to the far north and east of me but nothing local.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 03:03:10 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 05:05:20 PM »

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 05:33:55 PM »

And it's live:
https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/home1-cityfibre-services/

1 month term!
Interesting.  City fibre are busy here in Norwich at the moment, though I've failed to get to speak to anyone about whether they could use the BT duct from the street into our courtyard.  Otherwise it's a big job, taking up a big brickweave driveway to access 7 houses.
Is this a PPPoE service also then?  (seems so from the note on the page about needing a PPPoE router).
The committed rates of 75/35Mbps seem a bit on the paltry side.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »

Yes it appears to be a PPPoE service, on VLAN 911. I was thinking that they might drop the need for PPPoE but apparently not. Indeed, they may as well not have any committed rates :D.
Pages: [1] 2