Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SoGEA ?  (Read 2073 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
SoGEA ?
« on: July 12, 2022, 01:48:14 AM »

Questions about SoGEA, which I don’t fully understand:
  • Should I be able to benefit from this new[?] service and stop paying line rental (times 3 lines - yikes) to AA.net.uk?
  • Surely this is what AA and I have been gasping for for 12 years? Is AA using/offering it now?
  • Can I then cut a big chunk off my monthly AA bill by exploiting SoGEA?
  • When did it become available ?
  • Which other ISPs sell it? From adslmax’s recent thread we see an ISP offering the service to EUs.
  • Someone such as BTW, Openreach, or both sells this to ISPs? Who? (A second sense of the term: B2B, not sales to EUs.)
  • Is it available only to FTTx users, or old fashioned ADSL users too? Very worried suddenly about a catch
  • Why is it so called?
As you may know, AA doesn’t do PSTN/POTS telephony. AA has always offered VoIP, which I use and I have no PSTN/POTS at all, not through anyone else. So although old fashioned telephony is something that I don’t want or need, I’m currently being charged for it, and have been for 12 years. Incoming calls + SMS on the VoIP phone number are redirected by AA to Janet’s mobile phone. I hope the phone does EE "WiFi calling", so it should work even in the bad bad spots in the house where there’s no mobile network reception because of the thick stone walls, but I’m not sure and am not sure how to test it properly. Elsewhere, EE and Three signal is excellent.

Anyway, I do resent having to pay a "line rental" tax, and want to get out of it.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: SoGEA ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 08:24:17 AM »

I wouldn't get too excited, the monthly charge for a SOGEA line is not much different to a normal phone line, maybe slightly less. It's still a phone line so still needs to be maintained so no big chunk off your bill. :no:

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 08:59:44 AM »

Single Order Transitional Access Product (SOTAP) ETA September 2021
SOTAP, also known as SOADSL, will be used where Openreach fibre is unavailable. It will deliver a copper path between end customer’s premises and the exchange, providing ADSL broadband for over the top business application like IP Voice.

Single Order Generic Ethernet Access (SOGEA) ETA January 2020
SOGEA offers similar connectivity to GEA-FTTC and uses the same technology, VDSL. It will be available in the same geographic areas as FTTC and provides broadband without the need for an underlying voice access product, offering speeds up to 80Mb.

I think you are after SOTAP/SOADSL

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 09:36:21 AM »

Ah, thanks, I wondered about a restriction to VDSL. And maxadsl could order SOGEA because he was indeed an FTTC / VDSL2 user.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 10:18:00 AM »

Let us know if A&A offer SOTAP/SOADSL as of yet, you can find it on the BT Wholesale Checker:
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »

Code: [Select]
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available --
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available --
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 -- --
SOADSL Max Up to 1 -- -- --
Observed Speeds ADSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 2.9
Max Observed Upstream Speed 0.67
Observed Date 2021-11-28
Other Offerings Availability Date
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap U
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 01-07-2022
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y
The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

FTTP is not available.

I don’t know what it means by "restricted at the exchange".

Now thanks to you I know about the existence of SOTAP, something I had never even heard of, I managed to search AA’s website aa.net.uk and found this page https://www.aa.net.uk/etc/news/sogea-migrations-at-aa/ - However many questions remain and I’ll need to put them to AA. I assumed that this would be something that I would need to ask AA for, but it seems from that page as if AA is automatically migrating everyone which is great. I assume that’s as true for SOTAP and ADSL as it is for SOGEA and VDSL2/FTTC, but I’m not completely sure as the webpage doesn’t give much detail about SOTAP.

I also still don’t know what happens about line rental payments.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 11:41:05 AM by Weaver »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 12:51:32 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/bt-wholesale-uk-broadband-checker-adds-a-few-new-details.html

SOADSL (Single Order ADSL) is the broadband-only version of copper ADSL lines (no phone service) that isn’t expected to go live until September 2022

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 01:16:07 PM »

AA currently don't offer SOGEA but will soon.

Andrewhearn posted about this last week on Thinkbroadband. linky

Openreach are still finalizing the details of SOTAP/SOADSL. I don't know if it's available yet or if it's being trialled.

I also still don’t know what happens about line rental payments.

There's no line rental with SOGEA/SOADSL.
It's almost identical in price to WLR line rental + broadband anyway. Don't expect much in the way of savings.

There's still a line there to be maintained at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 01:18:24 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 02:35:34 PM »

It's almost identical in price to WLR line rental + broadband anyway. Don't expect much in the way of savings.

There's still a line there to be maintained at the end of the day.

That's what really bothered me about it, seems almost pointless.

I mean it makes sense for ADSL to remain as expensive, as the entire line to the exchange still is used so the cost to maintain will be pretty much the same.  But for VDSL it should have been cheaper, as potentially you're maintaining a much shorter line and it would encourage migrations away from ADSL (possibly why its not cheaper, OFCOM wouldn't like that).

I totally get the restrictions to not allow BT/OR to unfairly undercut competition, but I feel there comes a point where this is detrimental to progress, in moving away from copper.  There needs to be encouragement to move away from ADSL entirely, forcing better solutions, especially for long rural lines.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors