Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 on Sky Broadband Essential (ADSL/PPoA) and Open WRT  (Read 1594 times)

Subby28

• Just arrived
HG612 on Sky Broadband Essential (ADSL/PPoA) and Open WRT
« on: July 11, 2022, 08:11:05 PM »

Hi all,

Im after some help.

Im trying to help someone setup QoS (SQM) with a RPi4b and open wrt. I used the same setup on my old BT VDSL line with amazing results to help with keeping ping stable whilst people were streaming. I moved to gigabit Internet, so now im trying to get my setup working on his line. He has an awful old sky ADSL line and would really benefit from the traffic shaping.

Does anyone know if the HG612 can work with a sky PPOA ADSL line in bridge mode and then use PPOE on the pi to authenticate?

Ive set it all up, (unlocked the HG612, setup an ATM connection etc.... And had it all working on a BT ADSL line.

Moved it onto his sky line, changed the username and password to the generic one and it will not authenticate.

Im wondering if i need to get the HG612 to do the authentication and get the wan IP, then do something different on Open WRT other than PPOE?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612 on Sky Broadband Essential (ADSL/PPoA) and Open WRT
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 10:31:07 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

It has been something like ten or eleven years since I last used a Huawei HG612 on an ADSL2(+) circuit.

You can certainly configure the HG612 to act as the ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ endpoint and the ATM endpoint. Once configured that way, there will just be Ethernet frames passed via its LAN1 port.

There is something at the back of my mind, niggling away, about Sky services. I'm not certain but I wonder if they just use IPoE . . . If that is the case, then just try configuring the OpenWRT router in IPoE mode.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 10:33:00 PM »

I know they do on VDSL, no idea about ADSL though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 10:36:20 PM »

I know they do on VDSL, no idea about ADSL though.

Was it with the Sky services of old, when one needed to use Wireshark to capture the required Option 61 string for the IPoA or IPoE usage?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 10:42:34 PM »

@Subby28 I believe @burakkcat is onto something. I thought SKY use a different authentication method, DHCP Option 61 and not PPPoE but this may be for VDSL2 so not applicable to ADSL variants which are particularly awkward and require PPPoA. If you search the forums you may find some ancient post about ways to connect to Sky ADSL, best of luck.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 11:39:28 PM »

Okay, so a little Googling suggests Sky do NOT use MER on ADSL any more, it is plain PPPoA.

You might however need PPPoE for the two-box setup to work and I saw one suggesting they do NOT have it enabled by default (unlikely BT services which do, or at least did the last time I had ADSL) but might be able to enable it on request (must say I'm sceptical there).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 02:41:15 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

I’m sure Alex is right. For the two box setup, you need PPPoEoE on the link to the modem from the router.

Ideally, if you can manage it, you could perhaps be able to get the modem to convert to and output PPPoA ie RFC 2364 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2364) on the DSL side. Just a very small improvement. This is exactly what a Draytek Vigor 130 does - very cool, plug and play, and very efficient because of the lesser byte bloat in PPPoA compared with the horrible PPPoEoA which I use in my ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A modems to talk to the exchange. And that Vigor 1xx series modem does the protocol conversion to/from PPPoA nicely for you, making it in some case slightly faster than other modems, all other things being equal. Which they usually are not.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 07:11:06 AM »

The HG612 is "supposed" to have a bridge mode for PPP (it issues the IP over DHCP), but I've never seen anyone get it to work.  I wonder if the modules for it were just not included in the Openreach firmware?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 08:00:38 AM »

@Subby28 I found this quite long thread about using the HG612 on SKY ADSL
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19743.msg347512.html#msg347512

Unfortunately although the HG612 can work in router mode with a PPPoA connection when configured in bridge mode it cannot do the PPPoE to PPPoA conversion. The solution was to use the  Draytek Vigor modem.

I have used an HG612 on ADSL in bridge mode with Plusnet where as others have said PPPoE or PPPoA would connect. SKY LLU is PPPoA only.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 11:04:39 AM by RealAleMadrid »

Subby28

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 10:51:16 AM »

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

Yea i initially went round in circles using dhcp and mer, assuming it was VDSL, as didnt realise many ADSL lines still existed. Considering we both for work BT, you would think we would have realised beforehand, but we are electrical maintenance rather than anything to do with the network side of things so thats my excuse haha.

Right, so it seems the HG612 is my issue. As it was letting my select EoA on the WAN, and ATM, i assumed it could do the PPoE but as that doesnt seem to be the case, it all makes sense now.

Ill get him to either get a vigor 130, or switch to BT once his sky is out of contract.

Much appreciated all, have a good day.