Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: IPV6 traffic  (Read 11961 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: IPV6 traffic
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2022, 03:38:00 AM »

The Xbox is on that VLAN untagged via the switch config, my server and desktop (both Linux) has it tagged.  This way I just turn it on and off in the network manager when testing things.

The rest of the network isn't on that VLAN at all, except the WiFi which has a separate SSID for the dual-stack network, again in case I want to test it on different clients.

Frustrating the Xbox now says IPv6 is working but moans uPNP is not available and the NAT is strict - so what the heck is the point of IPv6 there if its using IPv4 for gaming traffic?  I thought the whole point was Microsoft was using Teredo for Xbox Live so it would work seamlessly when moving to IPv6.

I can tell you my experience.

I initially had it on ipv4 single stack as I didnt have ipv6 enabled on my guest VLAN, but the teredo just wouldnt work and hence had no multiplayer.

I then added a ipv6 subnet to the vlan and, it all came to life, multiplayer working fine.  NAT reported as moderate, not sure why there is a NAT test on native ipv6. 

I dont have issues with clients on guest VLAN been able to ping gateways on other VLANs for both stacks.

Firewall rules in pfsense doesnt allow guest vlan traffic to hit main vlan.

I assume your DHCP servers are isolated on appropriate VLANs and each VLAN has its own gateway ip?

--

Testing ipv6 only connectivity now, console as usual forcing OS and controller firmware updates, waiting for these to complete.

--

Same result as you, no single stack ipv6 support, thats really lame, looking at the view IP screen, the issue I think is DNS, it doesnt use any ipv6 DNS servers only v4.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:00:40 AM by Chrysalis »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2022, 10:35:40 AM »

I initially had it on ipv4 single stack as I didnt have ipv6 enabled on my guest VLAN, but the teredo just wouldnt work and hence had no multiplayer.

I then added a ipv6 subnet to the vlan and, it all came to life, multiplayer working fine.

Why would that break multiplayer?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2022, 07:13:32 PM »

In theory, they were supposed to be adopting an IPv6 only network, so that peer to peer gaming wasn't hampered by NAT.

In practice its all a bit odd, as it still claims multiplayer is hobbled if you have strict NAT on IPv4, even with IPv6 available.

It may just be their UI being overly cautious, as Xbox 360 games likely still use IPv4 only, whereas Xbox One/Series you'd think would be IPv6, as its with the Xbox One launch where they made the switch.  But honestly, its clear as mud.

If they were more clear about what was going on, I'd know if its even worth continuing down this path or just stick with IPv4, where I can monitor bandwidth of each client, I'd have to completely re-write the monitoring for IPv6 (as are Netgate themselves, its still in beta).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:18:05 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2022, 07:24:49 PM »

Uses v6 for multiplayer on xbox I think, hence why teredo gets used on ipv4 single stack.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:27:24 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]