Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: IPV6 traffic  (Read 12129 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: IPV6 traffic
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 12:34:22 AM »

@Burakkucat - I quite understand your viewpoint. I didn’t mistype though; that was my intention. I think of there being two networks, with different topologies: the IPv4 internet and the IPv6 internet. And of course there also happen to be two different protocols running too. Does that seem a fair alternative way of looking at it?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 04:02:58 PM »

Why, yes. Indeed.  :)

But as Alex has mentioned, the average "bookface" user thinks that Tim Berners-Lee invented "the Internet".  :-X  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 06:28:46 PM »

Looking at the traffic figures for LINX, in the ‘FLOW’ page, row LON1, average traffic, I see:  IPv4: 3.694 Tbps,  IPv6: 0.124759 Tbps. I’m really quite surprised by that ratio, what ~25x greater IPv4. I would have thought that the modern web browsers’ happy-eyeballs algorithm would cause users to favour IPv6 and I don’t see any particular reason why IPv6 would lose the happy-eyeballs race.

Most of the IPv6 is from the 'big boys' - Alphabet, Netflix, Meta, Microsoft, Apple, Cloudflare, Akamai, etc. Most ISPs will not consume their content via the LINX public LANs but through a combination of direct NNIs and on-net CDN caches which don't show on the LINX public stats.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 08:00:41 PM by XGS_Is_On »
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 12:00:16 AM »

With the uptake of IPv6 space, I'm wondering how long it'll be before the pricing of IPv4 space starts to... well, crash I guess.

A short time ago I had considered the possibility of buying a /24 instead of having one on a lease. I could've also considered it an investment but I'm fearful that the pricing of IPv4 space may almost be at its peak and within the next few years it may start to tumble. As I understand it, China wants to eliminate IPv4 from their country by 2025.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 10:47:22 AM »

I just don't see it happening in my lifetime, or should that be "over my cold, dead, body!".

I found out a few days ago my NAS suddenly has lost IPv6 connectivity and I don't know why.  IPv4 "just works".

There doesn't even seem to be much of a push by some providers.  I applied for a VPS with IONOS a week back and it gave me IPv4 by default, I had to manually request IPv6, which seems backwards to what I'd expect them to be doing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 11:48:39 AM »

China can want to eliminate IPv4 all they want: just means having to add tons of 6:4 gateways on their network boundaries. Rest of the world will have copious amounts of v4 still in use for the foreseeable.

Some of the enormous amount of v4 pointlessly tied up in reserved ranges would be good. As would the US military giving up some of their /8s though that's unlikely.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 01:48:33 PM »

Some of the enormous amount of v4 pointlessly tied up in reserved ranges would be good.

I assume you don't mean private space, as my current configuration actually relies on it being so diverse.  For example running more than one VPN instance with a low chance of both using the same IP range.  CG-NAT being different to private space is also essential to avoid clashing with random LANs, the fact some ISPs use private space instead of the proper CG-NAT range is pretty bad.

Microsoft had to migrate to IPv6 before everyone else as they literally ran out of IPv4 private addresses, though I guess there's not many corporations large enough enough to run into that problem.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 02:57:25 PM »

I just don't see it happening in my lifetime, or should that be "over my cold, dead, body!".

I found out a few days ago my NAS suddenly has lost IPv6 connectivity and I don't know why.  IPv4 "just works".

There doesn't even seem to be much of a push by some providers.  I applied for a VPS with IONOS a week back and it gave me IPv4 by default, I had to manually request IPv6, which seems backwards to what I'd expect them to be doing.

Yeah, I'm thinking that too. I've heard countless times about how IPv6 was supposed to takeover from IPv4 but I've yet to see it happen. IPv4 addresses are often also much easier to remember compared to public IPv6 addresses. For many IPv4 as you say "just works". Entities are still purchasing IPv4 space even at the prices they are currently at.

I'm uncertain if it's true as I haven't really tried to setup IPv6 on my Lightning Fibre connection, but a business using the same ISP told me that currently IPv6 isn't working for them. That doesn't bother me however as I already have a /48 announced (BGP) which I can keep even if I move to another ISP in the future for some reason, so I just use that :D.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 02:59:54 PM by Ixel »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 05:04:44 PM »

I assume you don't mean private space, as my current configuration actually relies on it being so diverse.  For example running more than one VPN instance with a low chance of both using the same IP range.

Microsoft had to migrate to IPv6 before everyone else as they literally ran out of IPv4 private addresses, though I guess there's not many corporations large enough enough to run into that problem.

I wasn't, no, I used the word 'reserved' carefully, though. There are a large number of v4 addresses reserved and doing nothing.

On the wider point if your home and private servers require 10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16 in their entirety and diversity you may be using excessively large subnets. Unless you're running a business involving VPNs or giving access to your data to the public in some capacity you can happily use /28s or /29s to reach home, smaller the subnet lower the chance of overlap.

CG-NAT doesn't overlap with the RFC1918 address space it has its own, 100.64/10, and only needs to be unique per gateway.

Address overlap on larger networks is fine. This is why we have VRFs. There's a ton of overlap on cloud services but the routing tables aren't exposed to each other. There's a ton of address overlap on ISPs serving enterprises but it's for the most part fine as they're in different tables. On VPNs home routers almost always kindly sit in the 192.168/16 range so are easy enough to avoid.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 01:21:48 AM »

With the uptake of IPv6 space, I'm wondering how long it'll be before the pricing of IPv4 space starts to... well, crash I guess.

A short time ago I had considered the possibility of buying a /24 instead of having one on a lease. I could've also considered it an investment but I'm fearful that the pricing of IPv4 space may almost be at its peak and within the next few years it may start to tumble. As I understand it, China wants to eliminate IPv4 from their country by 2025.

Good on China for that, but as long as we have services single stacked IPv4 and broadband users single stacked IPv4, then it will be premium priced.  Given the lack of motivation from regulators to force progress, we are likely going to be stagnated for a long time in this kind of part way through migration phase.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 09:50:26 AM »

Good on China for that, but as long as we have services single stacked IPv4 and broadband users single stacked IPv4, then it will be premium priced.  Given the lack of motivation from regulators to force progress, we are likely going to be stagnated for a long time in this kind of part way through migration phase.

Yeah that makes sense, I agree. I might think through my options again a little later then.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2022, 04:58:21 PM »

The lack of regulatory pressure is because this is has many international depencies. China won't be rid of v4 they'll just have a ton of 6:4 gateways on the Golden Shield's edge. They can claim their internal Internet is v6 only which just highlights that they've an internal Internet along national lines.

In the UK we don't yet have an equivalent and our Internet doesn't conform to national boundaries so I genuinely can't see what regulators can do beyond mandating dual-stack, which China aren't.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 03:08:10 AM »

The lack of regulatory pressure is because this is has many international depencies. China won't be rid of v4 they'll just have a ton of 6:4 gateways on the Golden Shield's edge. They can claim their internal Internet is v6 only which just highlights that they've an internal Internet along national lines.

In the UK we don't yet have an equivalent and our Internet doesn't conform to national boundaries so I genuinely can't see what regulators can do beyond mandating dual-stack, which China aren't.

Well of course yes for international traffic IPv4 connectivity would still be required, but this would still be a step forward.  Dual stack would be fine for that case.  Eventually then would hope other countries follow suit, and would be slow steady progress instead of stagnation.  I think that's the issue for me, that instead of a unified direction, we just have every entity doing what's best for themselves.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 03:11:11 AM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything