Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Chrome and IPv6  (Read 3564 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Chrome and IPv6
« on: December 18, 2022, 03:28:51 PM »

Recent discovery.

Looks like Chrome on windows now ignores the prefix policy.

So by default IPv6 is preferenced which should mean on dual stack IPv6 will nearly always be used, and if the policy is reversed vice versa.

Since my IPv6 is via a 200mbit tunnel, I preference IPv4, and discovered Chrome, Edge (and I assume all forks) instead seem to be either randomising the stack or got some kind of internal algorithm, probably the latter.  So they breaching RFC.

The IPv6 test website if I refresh spam will actually seemingly randomly flip from "your browser priorities IPv6" and "your browser prioritises IPv4".

Firefox behaves normally.

It could be a bug but with the attitude of web browser developers these days where they want to control everything instead of the device admin, it wouldnt surprise me if its deliberate.

Havent found any reference to the change on the internet or a way to override the behaviour.  So really bad. :(

Also affects Steam as Steam uses Chrome framework.

Someone on Reddit verified the behaviour.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Chrome and IPv6
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 10:33:01 PM »

Ok found some more information, seems its not a new issue.

Apparently Chrome client by design ignores OS set preference, the reason so they can try and maximise performance by a few ms, by accessing both stacks at once and using the one that responds first.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=516305&can=1&q=ipv6&colspec=ID%20Pri%20M%20Stars%20ReleaseBlock%20Cr%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20OS%20Modified
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6555