Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New FTTP Circuit. Ping Anomaly  (Read 1292 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New FTTP Circuit. Ping Anomaly
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 10:48:15 PM »

You may split it if you like as it has strayed from the original topic I posted. (Which is my fault for changing topic direction).

Now done.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

EC300

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2022, 09:16:34 AM »

[This topic has been created by splitting off the following posts from the OP's "How Much Bend Can Openreach Fibre Optic Cable From Pole Around Premises" thread.]

Hey,

So the line went live yesterday. A cable was replaced at the exchange and circuit rebuilt.

Strange thing however when viewing my TBB BQM. This is set up using my ASUS RTAC86U. There isn't a straight line with the latency like I had before with my FTTC. It looks a little weird the pattern.

You should up alternative BQMs as you might just be seeing an oddity with TBB routing (try https://f8lure.mouselike.org/).  Possible there are a couple of routes the packets are going and flip between these two routes as part of load balancing somewhere.  You could try doing several trace routes to the TBB monitor and see if every now and then you get a different route which would then have a slightly different latency.

blue166

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 11:25:16 AM »

Great thinking. I did actually start a f8lure one yesterday and was letting it populate. I was thinking to myself there was another ping plotter and then remembered.

I appreciate the advice.

I will also do the traceroute when I get a chance. Connection has been getting well
used this morning with Xbox game updates.

Appreciate all the help and advice so far all.

blue166

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2022, 12:38:02 PM »

I have spotted this user BuckleZ connection doing the same thing. Funny enough he is using an ASUS brand router too. But I don't think that is the issue?

He is on BT FTTP and his only started after midnight a day or two back as I spotted it on the forums over there.

My TBB one still shows like this and that's after upgrading ASUS 86U Firmware to latest and ONT has been power cycled. Very odd. The F8lure one on a Rapid switch server looks flat and only spike when connection is in use. If that one is trustworthy enough? Anything on the Firebrick is showing that odd pattern.

Like I say the same ASUS Router on my old FTTC connection was always flat and only had the typical usage spikes etc... Most odd.

I have done some ping tests on direct through the ASUS Router and continue to do so. Speed on the 300/49 package seems to be hitting 310/48.5ish

Anyway the TBB graph still seems to be weird. I'll continue to keep an eye on things.

Below is a pic of the users connection from TBB forum.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 12:41:05 PM by blue166 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2022, 12:40:49 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised at a change in pattern going from FTTC to FTTP as the latency is so much lower (at least for some of us) that any spikes will be more visible.  I'd only be concerned if it suddenly starts happening when it wasn't before on the same connection.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything