Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Black boxes  (Read 1032 times)

andrewtjb

Black boxes
« on: July 04, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »

Hi

I noticed recently it seemed like openreach were doing something at the end of my street with excess wire hanging from the poles. i noticed today that theres now black boxes up the poles some of them look like they are just holding a bunch of extra wires and the others look like egg box shaped boxes.

According to google those egg shaped ones are realted to fttp.

Does that mean they are installing fttp on my street?

I checked Openreach website and it doesn't say fttp is available.

But noticed while checking the map on thinkbroadband.com that two properties at the end of my street are showing as having fttp.

These properties are right by these poles and looks like they have wires going to the properties.

Is it normal for Openreach to only offer it to only two properties?

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Black boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 10:57:47 PM »

I noticed recently it seemed like openreach were doing something at the end of my street with excess wire hanging from the poles. i noticed today that theres now black boxes up the poles some of them look like they are just holding a bunch of extra wires and the others look like egg box shaped boxes.

Those "egg box shaped boxes" are probably CBTs (Connectorised Block Terminals) and, yes, they are hardware related to the FTTP rollout.

I checked Openreach website and it doesn't say fttp is available.

But noticed while checking the map on thinkbroadband.com that two properties at the end of my street are showing as having fttp.

These properties are right by these poles and looks like they have wires going to the properties.

Is it normal for Openreach to only offer it to only two properties?

It might be that those two properties have both paid for (expensive) FTTPoD connections.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 10:29:16 AM »

The only action I can see logged against Abertillery are a few FTTP PON's raised against 'New sites', 'Retro New Sites' & 'LFFN' programmes ..... only 10 in total.

It could well be as B*Cat above suggests,  and it is a CFP/FTTPoD ??

andrewtjb

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 01:41:01 PM »

I had another look earlier and can see those terminals are on 3 poles running a long that part of the street.

I did another test on openreach website by putting in a different postcode as the post code for that end of the street is slightly different.

It appears multiple properties can now get fttp but not all of them. Seems to be the middle of the street only.

The first few properties and the last few only offer fttc.

anything