Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: YouFibre Install Day!  (Read 4584 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: YouFibre Install Day!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2022, 08:46:07 PM »

Don't know if your fibre install has the equivalent of a CSP box fitted externally as per OR fibre installs where the outside fibre run is spliced to the inside fibre run?

My BT/OR FTTP install in March completely failed a week after installation, red LOS LED illuminated on ONT, the issue was a bad fibre splice in the CSP box.
Original install was by OR sub-contractor, fault fixed next day by OR tech., been fine ever since. 
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 10:18:58 PM »

Possibly a daft question — if I were to unplug the fibre cable and look at the end, should I see any kind of light?  I did have a quick peek when support asked me to replug it, but there appears to be a cap over the end or something?  I didn’t poke at it because I don’t know what I’m doing :)

There definitely won't be a cap on the end. If there was a cap, the connector would not mate with the ONT's socket. You've seen the ceramic ferrule which does, I admit, look like a cap to a casual observer.

Don't look at the end of the ferrule if you value your eyesight. The wavelength of the DS light is in the infrared band, typically in the range 1480 - 1580 nm, so there is nothing to see. If you really must "have a fiddle", lay a blank sheet of matt white A4 paper on the floor. Close the curtains or blinds so the room is in darkness. Guided by the light from your mobile telephone, unplug the optical connector from the ONT. Don't touch the end. Point it at the sheet of paper. With your other hand, take a photograph of the paper. Now replug the optical connector into the ONT.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2022, 05:57:56 AM »

Don't look at the end of the ferrule if you value your eyesight.

This cannot be emphasised enough.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2022, 08:16:44 AM »

Thank you both for the warnings — a bit of attempted DIY LASIK does sound like an absolutely terrible idea!

When I saw that no light was being cast out the fibre as I removed it, I thought to myself there were two possibilities — that there should be light and there isn’t, or that there is light, but it’ll mess me up if I look directly at it.  Good to have confirmation!

I do have a CSP on the outside wall, so sounds like a bad splice there is a possibility!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 05:46:11 PM »

Haven’t heard a peep out of YouFibre today.  Installers still work until 6pm I was told, but it’s nearly that now!

My engineer visit was technically booked for tomorrow, but the advisor said that was only because they couldn’t book any earlier on their system, however, he’d send a note to them to come today.  So I’m guessing that didn’t get seen, or they just didn’t have time to come today.

Am on hold now waiting to see if it’s likely to be tomorrow.  And if it is, I’ll need to give my boss a shout as I’m meant to be in the office on Wednesdays.

Let’s see what happens!

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2022, 08:14:37 PM »

For anyone interested in the actual OR FTTP fibre signal wavelengths:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,27016.msg453174.html#msg453174

This was as a result of my messing around with a cheap Chinese optical light meter I bought on my FTTP system.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »

All sorted!

Apparently the two guys who came today would normally have visited on Monday, but they were on holiday.  Turns out, one of the guys on Monday was the boss of the installation company!

They respliced the fibre in the CSP, reprovisioned, and it's up and running. 

The guy said he was gonna let the boss know he's terrible at splicing and should stick to the desk-job!

Had a good chuckle :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2022, 05:07:13 PM »

Excellent news, fingers crossed all stays well :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2022, 05:59:58 PM »

. . . one of the guys on Monday was the boss of the installation company!

They respliced the fibre in the CSP, reprovisioned, and it's up and running. 

The guy said he was gonna let the boss know he's terrible at splicing and should stick to the desk-job!

Oops!  ::)  But good to know it's fixed.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2022, 06:21:58 AM »

Uh-oh.

Looks like it died again around 3:40am…

I’ll have to call for another appointment!

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2022, 06:47:09 AM »

Ah no way! There's got to be something bigger going wrong there, guessing a good old power cycle of the ONT hasn't gotten you anywhere?

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2022, 06:53:23 AM »

Hehe, unlucky or what?!

Yep, gave the ONT a restart, still no joy.  Will be giving support a call when they open at 8!

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2022, 08:37:40 AM »

Can’t fault (if you’ll pardon the pun) YouFibre’s support.  They’re getting someone out today to take a look!

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 10:14:44 AM »

Interesting, following this thread for sure. Waiting for them to hurry up and roll out across the whole of my town.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2022, 11:09:56 PM »

Well, just to tie up the loose ends...

Got a call from the installers on Thursday saying they'd be with me first-thing Friday.  And they were!

They said that when they first re-spliced the join in the CSP, the fibre from the CSP to the ONT was on the short side.  So, they replaced that fibre, re-did the splice, and it's been fine ever since.

I took a look outside afterwards, as I thought I heard drilling.  Saw that they'd also replaced the CSP box.  Instead of a rounded-top one, it was rectangular -- and fitted much better to the wall.

So, new CSP box, new fibre to the ONT and new splice.  All sorted.

Speeds and pings are great -- no complaints whatsoever.

Now, just to figure out how they do IPv6.  With a straightforward pfSense DHCP6 config on the WAN, I'm seeing SOLICITs work, but REQUESTs go unanswered.  The Eero works fine, so clearly I need to have a tinker.  Will stick an ethernet switch with port mirroring between the Eero and the ONT so I can spy on what it's doing with Wireshark so I can try to hit pfSense until it does the same thing.

[Moderator edited to erase the IPv4 address displayed in the image.]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 06:44:50 PM by burakkucat »
Pages: 1 [2] 3