Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Domestic Smart Heating Systems  (Read 4807 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Domestic Smart Heating Systems
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2022, 08:38:37 PM »

Have had a play with my Drayton Wiser system for a few days, hub bench powered and experimenting with radiator stat's on my varied makes of existing TRV's, majority of which are quite old "Danfoss RA" units.
Just manually start/stop CH system when hub indicates heat demand/satisfied for testing purposes.

The provided Danfoss RA adapters supplied work very well physically, certainly a lot better than the supplied Tado TRV adapters tried previously, however, don't think the valve is opening sufficiently on demand as the rad's are very slow to heat by comparison to stat's directly fitted (no adapter) to 2 other radiators with cheap generic TRV bodies.
Definately seems to be "Danfoss" pecular as all 3 rad's which have smart stat's fitted react exactly the same way.
Have tried multiple valve re-calibrations.

Have queried the operation to Wiser today, awaiting response.
Hope I don't have to change out the Danfoss TRV bodies, may come to that :(

Also have a number of old Myson TRV's which will need adapters, not supplied but available third party at £10 to £12 a go, have ordered one to try.

GUI is by smart phone only, Android or Apple, quite impressive but would have liked a PC interface as well.   
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2022, 09:01:07 AM »

Does the Wiser system control hot water as well as heating?

Edit: looks like it does, but maybe timed only would that be correct?  I can't see reference anywhere to a hot water stat as part of the system.  So maybe timed but in conjunction with a conventional stat on the cylinder.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:05:09 AM by aesmith »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2022, 09:17:54 AM »

Wiser systems do something called OpenTherm which I believe is a water temperature control mechanism on Combi boilers.
I don't have one so can't explain further.

With our "old school" boiler the hot water is indeed just on or off on a timed basis as far as the Wiser is concerned.
There are thermostats on the boiler and hot water tank which will turn the boiler off as appropriate, but Wiser is unaware of them.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2022, 04:45:45 PM »

Honeywell explanation of Open therm https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/what-is-opentherm-and-why-use-honeywell-evohome-with-it/
Only for reference not trying to sell to anybody!! ;)

My system can turn on one or all trv's, so yes you can turn on just one rad. Saves heating unused areas of our house.

We have an Gas converted AGA in the kitchen so it's roasting all year round :) and a log burner in the lounge, when that's on the lounge rad hardly ever comes on, unless the room's below the set temp.

Note: our AGA has a heated water circuit/ and H/W tank!! (Supplies H/W to kitchen tap only! This is entirely separate pipework from the Combi boiler which feeds H/W to the bathroom/ Outside toilet on demand only.
I would like to get rid of the AGA water heater, but as this AGA dates from 1955, they used fullers earth (Mica on later models) as an insulator!! and in removing the stuff would get all over the house, even in a double wrapped tent!

At some point i'm going to have to "Rip the plaster off"...
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2022, 07:16:29 PM »

Quote by aesmith:
Does the Wiser system control hot water as well as heating?

Further to the answer by "HPsauce", in a conventional domestic CH/HW system (not combi-boiler), HW is controlled from the Wiser Hub (smart phone app) but only with regard to programmable on/off switching, HW tank temperature control as such remains with the tank contact thermostat and not controlled by or visable to the Wiser system.

@parkdale:
Very good link/explanation of Open Therm, best I've seen.
Not applicable to oil fired boilers as in my case as far as I can see.
The Wiser Hub is supplied with an Open Therm module fitted.

Have had a very basic reply from Wiser support regarding my query submitted yesterday on Danfoss RA TRV adapters, requesting photos, dimensions etc., will supply and hope for positive suggestions/solutions :fingers:

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 06:13:56 PM »

For anyone perhaps contemplating investing in or upgrading a Drayton Wiser smart home system.

The parent company, Schneider Electric, have some very good offers at present on their on line shop.
I bought the conventional boiler, multi-zone starter kit plus a 3 radiator stat pack from Amazon on the recent Prime day sale at what I thought was a very good price, same kit is now £40 less when bought directly from the Schneider shop with free (all UK) courier delivery.

Have sourced radiator stat adapters for my very old Myson TRV's which use a 28mm diameter thread, adapts to the now standard 30mm diameter TVR fittings.
Easily fitted, metal construction, work well, cost just under £10 each.

Still waiting on some constructive feedback other than "investigating" from Wiser support ref the Danfoss RA TRV adapters.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2022, 12:32:00 PM »

An update for any interested parties:

Have now implemented most of the system and is under limited testing with consideration to the current mild weather and ever increasing cost of heating oil, 104p/ltr this morning, has risen from 80p/ltr since mid August and shows no signs of halting!

Generally happy with the system so far, no major issues.
Still have an issue with one of my Danfoss TRV's, minimal response to heat demand from radiator, have left this as one of the "uncontrolled" radiators in the system which is recommended, retains it's manual TRV set at high temperature.
Strangely enough, all my other Danfoss (adapted to smart) TRV's seem to work perfectly?
Wiser support have never responded further to my query regarding the Danfoss TRV adapter issue, doesn't exactly enspire confidence!

Have retained my Mitsubishi Alpha-2 PLC interface in the mean time during appraisal & testing running on a much simplified program which still incorporates the 2 area stat's, just in case the system should "run away", can also monitor HW & CH demand v boiler running time to better appraise the system performance.

The reported room temperature from the radiator TRV's always appears to be at least 2 deg's higher than actual, Wiser say this is intentional as an "algorithm" is applied to compensate for the near proximity of the TRV sensor to the heat source, may have to compensate for this when setting room temperature set points.
A local room stat can be added to any area which will automatically take priority over the radiator TRV, this would however add quite a lot of expense to the system if implemented fully.
I have one local room stat at present which I can experiment with when heating becomes more active in the autumn/winter, hopefull can get around the local stat's requirement in most areas.

Google home integration is working very well and was very easy to set up.
Don't use Alexa but integration is supposed to be just as effective.
Have not tried remote IFTTT as yet.
So far happy with the investment which I hope will achieve the objective of being able to zone my heating requirements and reduce oil consumption over the winter months, no better time to try and achieve that outcome!     
Pages: 1 [2]