Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Swapping ONTs between different fibers?  (Read 992 times)

plexus

• Just arrived
Swapping ONTs between different fibers?
« on: July 03, 2022, 05:07:59 PM »

Hello Kitz,
Been a while hope you are all well.

I have two OR ONTs in the house, one in the home office and one in the front room. They are different providers, but same 1000/115 service. I want to cancel service from the ISP int he living room, but keep the service from the ISP in the office. However, I want swap the two ONTs around as the front room one has battery backup but the office one does not.

My understanding is that with GPON the fibre strand is pretty agnostic to the equipment - every ONT can 'see' other ONTs downstream - so can I just go swap my ONTs around or will BTOR one day risk unplugging that fiber and its easier to ask the ISP im keeping to do a takeover of the front room ONT.

TIA

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: Swapping ONTs between different fibers?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 07:07:41 PM »

@plexus Having given this some thought your plan will not work, on Openreach FTTP every ONT is registered on the system by its serial number so swapping the ONTs on the same PON will just move the service associated with each ONT, you will not swap the suppliers.  Another method needs to be worked out. :-\

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 01:31:25 AM »

However it would suggest swapping the ONTs, assuming they are on the same PON, could work if you kept the service from the office that is tied to the ONT you want to use.  Although I do agree there is a risk they would disconnect that fibre at some point if they need that port for another customer, as their records will say the ONT is plugged into the other line.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 01:16:18 PM »

@Alex Atkin  The OP wants to move the ONT with Battery Backup to the Office line which is has the other ONT.  So it won't work unless
Openreach re-register the ONT with backup to the other providers service. Whether this could be arranged by the provider, who knows, it's a rather unusual situation. ???

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 01:29:47 PM »

@Alex Atkin  The OP wants to move the ONT with Battery Backup to the Office line which is has the other ONT.  So it won't work unless
Openreach re-register the ONT with backup to the other providers service. Whether this could be arranged by the provider, who knows, it's a rather unusual situation. ???

I know what they want, my point was there is potentially a workaround if priority was just to get rid of one of them and not care which - but with potential problems later on.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »

@Alex Atkin Unfortunately your work around does not meet the OP's requirements. :-\

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 03:28:31 PM »

@Alex Atkin Unfortunately your work around does not meet the OP's requirements. :-\

Yeah I misread that ISP was important as well as the ONT.

I mean the battery problem can be easily overcome with a 12V UPS anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 05:20:19 PM »

I wonder if both ONTs are the same make and model? If so, why not just transfer the BBU from "the one with" to "the one without".  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 05:26:04 PM »

Just move the BBU (battery backup unit) from 1 ONT to the other. Problem solved.

The BBU port on the older ONT's are only for battery telemetry data. The actual BBU should work on any ONT provided the power connector is the same size on both.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 07:09:52 PM »

Just move the BBU (battery backup unit) from 1 ONT to the other. Problem solved.

The BBU port on the older ONT's are only for battery telemetry data. The actual BBU should work on any ONT provided the power connector is the same size on both.

I'd completely forgotten about that too.