Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Green cabinet been removed!  (Read 665 times)

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Green cabinet been removed!
« on: June 29, 2022, 11:00:20 PM »

*I am not from UK* I have FTTC for more than 3 years and the green cabinet was beside the fiber cabinet (though it looked like scrap from inside) but I said it must be in-service since that is how FTTC works like in the UK, to my surprise yesterday I found the green cabinet is completely removed and only can see the cement base and a telephone cable appearing from it.

Casual line disconnects non for a long time enough to indicate a serious work on the line, can some kitzens experts explain or get me an approximate of what happened?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Green cabinet been removed!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 11:23:57 PM »

I suspect joints were made with the type of crimps that slips over a wire, thus allowing the provision of a temporary dual signal path, before the old part of the circuit was cut away.

Once that had been completed, for all circuits transiting through the cabinet, then the redundant cabinet could be removed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 12:25:35 AM »

Also, do you have voice service over the line?  I'd imagine the UK will eventually go the same way once POTS and ADSL are completely retired, though not for some time yet I expect.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 11:20:40 AM »

I suspect joints were made with the type of crimps that slips over a wire, thus allowing the provision of a temporary dual signal path, before the old part of the circuit was cut away.

Once that had been completed, for all circuits transiting through the cabinet, then the redundant cabinet could be removed.

Yes I thought the same way.

Also, do you have voice service over the line?  I'd imagine the UK will eventually go the same way once POTS and ADSL are completely retired, though not for some time yet I expect.

Yes POTS service active on line, they are rolling out FTTH and VOIP service nation wide but since it is only one company that is responsible for infrastructure it will take ages yet there is no VOIP service on FTTC lines available.

anything