Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: City Fibre York  (Read 1805 times)

Nope noop

• Just arrived
City Fibre York
« on: August 08, 2022, 08:07:10 AM »

Hello everyone, I'm after some tech help advice on the issue I'm having with Cityfibre.

So fibre has finally been laid in my street and I got the notification to get FTTP I was using Starlink for my internet as ADSL was becoming far too unreliable at times.

I rang Vodafone to get their deal and got a a date to install. No engineer turned up. Arranged another date and engineer didn't turn up. Lots of excuses from them and in the end I cancelled and went to talk talk.

A bit more communication from then which was good however but then out of the blue I called to check on progress to find that they cancelled my contract without me knowing.

I had to get in touch with Cityfibre to find out what was going on and the reply back was there's no slots available in the cabinet? Now I have some understanding as to what this means but does anyone know how easy it is to add more slots or would it possibly be a case of adding a new cabinet. I ask because I no longer have any internet, I'm currently tethering off my phone to use bits in my household.

Very frustrating. I did ask talk talk can I not use ADSL until fibre is available and they said no?

Someones help on this would greatly appreciated.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: City Fibre York
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 09:29:48 AM »

I see that the ISP I use myself, AA.net.uk, has signed up to be a CityFibre reseller in York etc. See https://www.aa.net.uk/etc/news/aa-to-introduce-cityfibre-backhauled-services/ - according to that, it may be early days yet. I seem to remember that in the past, AA has made arrangements for customers to use 4G [?] routers to tide them over until their new service is available, but my memory is very shaky regarding this. It might be worth at least talking to AA and taking a look at their website https://www.aa.net.uk/

AA already sells FTTP that uses the Openreach network, so that might be an option for you if Openreach also covers York, and you need FTTP in a hurry and the advantages of CityFibre are not important to you. I don’t know what CityFibre’s fault repair service is like compared with that of Openreach.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 04:34:28 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm after some tech help advice on the issue I'm having with Cityfibre.

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Having read through your concise tail of woe, & considering your location, it would make sense to follow Weaver's advice and at least talk to A&A.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 05:32:57 PM »

Yes, and I completely forgot, welcome to the forum.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 03:29:29 AM »

I see that the ISP I use myself, AA.net.uk, has signed up to be a CityFibre reseller in York etc. See https://www.aa.net.uk/etc/news/aa-to-introduce-cityfibre-backhauled-services/ - according to that, it may be early days yet. I seem to remember that in the past, AA has made arrangements for customers to use 4G [?] routers to tide them over until their new service is available, but my memory is very shaky regarding this. It might be worth at least talking to AA and taking a look at their website https://www.aa.net.uk/

AA already sells FTTP that uses the Openreach network, so that might be an option for you if Openreach also covers York, and you need FTTP in a hurry and the advantages of CityFibre are not important to you. I don’t know what CityFibre’s fault repair service is like compared with that of Openreach.

They looking to be able to take orders by autumn, thats likely earlier than Cityfibre will be activated for me given the Cityfibre rollout speeds.  Only thing to keep an eye out for now I guess is the prices AAISP will charge for CF.

anything