Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How Much Bend Can Openreach Fibre Optic Cable From Pole Around Premises  (Read 7732 times)

blue166

Hi All,

I understand that Fibre Optic Cable can not be sharply bent around corners of a property. But for example running down the side round and over a porch and then down wall and into CSP.

I have seen the term sweeping bend and radius mentioned. It would not bother me if a cable sat slightly off the wall round a bend but I would like to know what they do as standard practice on these runs.

Is it a case that it can bend but just not in tight sharp movements and must have a slack approach to corners?

Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 01:13:38 PM by blue166 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

If you go to the Openreach web-site, there is section titled "Guides and Handbooks. (Everything you need to install Openreach equipment at your development.)" from which you can download all the information available for developers/builders of new sites.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Do you want pictures from my install?

I think as long as you do not snap the fibre like a glow stick, most bends should be okay.

blue166

Do you want pictures from my install?

I think as long as you do not snap the fibre like a glow stick, most bends should be okay.

Yes please.

bbnovice

• Reg Member

I've got 3 right angle bends in the duct from the road (don't ask !!) to the side of my house (4 if you include the bend from the external box through the wall to meet the ONT). The 3 bends are fairly gentle curves and Openreach did not bat an eyelid when they rodded my duct prior to pulling the fibre. So the fibre seems to quite robust. Not a very technically complete answer I know.   

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

blue166

Is that stuff used on External and internal? From pole to premises etc.. ?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:17:51 PM by burakkucat »

stevebrass

• Reg Member

I think it goes from the CSP on the building wall to wherever the entry point on the building is.

blue166

I think it goes from the CSP on the building wall to wherever the entry point on the building is.

If things were to work as my head thinks it could work then from the CSP to the ONT would just virtually back on to one another.

It's the cable that is run from a pole the premises that I'm more interested in knowing what bends it can take. Though it is also interesting to see that EZ bend cable in that video and knowing about its run from outside in.

Do you or anyone know a bit about the external cable grade and bend flexibility.

Many thanks.

craigski

• Reg Member

These fibre optic cables are pretty tough, when they were cabling our road the cables were laid in long lengths along pavements across residents' drives before they were pulled into ducts and connected to poles. I saw cars and delivery vans, even lorries drove over the cables before they were installed.

I recall reading somewhere bend shouldn't be less than radius of 2 pound coin, but I would assume whoever is installing should know what they are doing, and know what 'optimum' route should be.

stevebrass

• Reg Member

As @craigski says I am sure the installer will find the best way of doing it. It may be that CSP is placed elsewhere to where you think, so any tight bends can be negotiated by the EZ bend cable.

blue166

Many thanks for the help and advice all.

I will be in contact when it hopefully happens.

Appreciate it.

stevebrass

• Reg Member

Many thanks for the help and advice all.

I will be in contact when it hopefully happens.

Appreciate it.

Yes -  do feedback as a) we are ;D nosey and b) we are genuinely interested.

Cheers

blue166

Yes -  do feedback as a) we are ;D nosey and b) we are genuinely interested.

Cheers

Well it hasn't gone well so far...

The installation took place around 10am this morning. Never had to deal with Kelly's before and seen some right horror stories. First the guy turned up and said he would need to send the job back. I said how come? He said it passes 4 gardens (fed from rear) It actually passes half of quarter of someone's front driveway and a smidge of my neighbours back garden. So corrected h on that.

Then he said he can't get on a flat roof (garage 1 and kitchen extension 2) I said no worries I'll be doing that all for you and will feed it to you. I said I'll make this as easy a Friday job as you will do.

He eventually was won over and said here's the keys to my van. I thought, right let's crack on. He sent his trainee up the pole to fit the EZ Bend cable and clip it. Then I was on garage roof and took the reel and fed it across. Done the kitchen extension bit too and passed it to him on the ladder at the far side of my property. He fitted drop point and fed cable.

He then tacked it all the way round my side of property, around my front extension and to the point under lounge window next to VM point and old BT copper entry (which was fed UG originally) He fitted the splice point and done inside work where I asked to go. He fitted the Nokia ONT and then switched it all on and activated.

And now...

Green light on power on
Thing LOS lit up then went off
PON kept flashing (he said give it 10
He plugged my ethernet cable in for my ASUS RT AC86U LAN port solid green (ASUS red light due to PON flashing still)

So he gave it 20, said weird as I he got activation success text through.
He made a call to OR and a lady went through some bits with him. He then said she was struggling to connect to pole and her system would not let her in, shed pass this off to a supervisor. Meh...

So engineers left. He asked if I was happy with their work. It wasn't a bad job so said yeah fine. Couldn't keep them...

So a couple of hrs later still flashing. Contacted BT and OR CEO office.
BT FTTP team contacted OR and eventually said some routing issue (I'm first person connected to this CBT on pole.

She said it will need left for around 5 days... Oh man...

OR CEO office then emailed me and said some equipment in the exchange was at fault and some re cabling was required.

No idea now...

PON still flashing...

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Extroadinary, I was under the impression they absolutely would not want you touching any part of it, though I'd do the same and offer to do anything I could to get it done on the day.  Shame it still didn't end well.

This is why I'm glad I have backup Internet, will be the first on my DP to get connected so rather nervous it wont go smoothly.  I'm going into this assuming my DSL will go down and FTTP fail to come up, so that I can only be pleasantly surprised if it all goes smoothly.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything