Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question regarding FTTP after area upgraded recently  (Read 2221 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: Question regarding FTTP after area upgraded recently
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 02:11:10 PM »

it doesn't seem to use HD Voice from mobile to landline calls.

It never will, landline is the low denominator there.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

blue166

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2022, 09:30:10 PM »

Right then. *UPDATE*

I went through a new contract term with BT and it turns out when I asked the lady about the landline and getting ready to ditch it, she said it will be free and not £5 a month. I explained I was planning on ditching it, but once she said free and it won't effect my billing I said I will just sit on it then and consider moving to a VOIP provider sometime down the road. She advised not to attempt that during a contract term as sometimes services it ceases them entirely.

I'm happy to just disconnect it for now and forget about it. I didn't want to pay for something that sits like an ornament. But happy to sit on it if no cost.

Hopefully that will be ok.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:37:15 PM by blue166 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2022, 01:45:16 AM »

The issue there is there's no way to migrate a bundled BT landline number without it ceasing the broadband.
If you do that later down the line then you will need to do it when changing providers or go through the motions of reactivating the line after it has ceased.

IMO when upgrading from FTTC to FTTP is the perfect time to unbundle the 2.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2022, 05:30:44 AM »

Its a silly situation Openreach have left people in.  You'd think they would have organised something to have ISPs split their services in preparation for this, or least allow them to do so at migration time without cost.  They never seem to have procedures in place for when things happen.

It reminds me of when I had Digital Region for broadband, when that company ceased it took ages to get the tag off the line so I could order broadband again as unbundled at the cabinet was "not a thing they were prepared for" so the automated systems didn't work, and nobody seemed able to do it manually.

I have landline with BT and Broadband with Zen, I'm still a little worried they will somehow mess that up even though the services are already technically independent of each other so Zen moving the broadband over to FTTP in theory wont touch the landline as it should presumably be re-provisioned on a new ID.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

blue166

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 07:12:34 AM »

The issue there is there's no way to migrate a bundled BT landline number without it ceasing the broadband.
If you do that later down the line then you will need to do it when changing providers or go through the motions of reactivating the line after it has ceased.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. It's such a silly system.

Well I'm going to just pack the house phone up and put it in a drawer somewhere and pretend I don't have a landline. I shall inform people to only contact us via mobile.

The most annoying thing here is all because they force you to use there router with digital voice. If it was a case that I could buy a VOIP phone and use it with my ASUS Router and that was my BT number still there would be no issue. I just don't know with these services sometimes.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2022, 11:12:23 AM »

Its a silly situation Openreach have left people in.  You'd think they would have organised something to have ISPs split their services in preparation for this, or least allow them to do so at migration time without cost.  They never seem to have procedures in place for when things happen.

Openreach introduced a service to deal with it a number of years ago. It's called WLR renumber with export or something like that.
It's just the big providers choose not to offer the service to customers.

I'm sure that once the number is no longer WLR then Openreach aren't involved. BT buy stand alone broadband from Openreach/BT Wholesale, they bundle their own VOIP service and it's BT that choose to cease the broadband when migrating the landline away
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2022, 11:27:44 AM »

+1

The most annoying thing here is all because they force you to use there router with digital voice. If it was a case that I could buy a VOIP phone and use it with my ASUS Router and that was my BT number still there would be no issue. I just don't know with these services sometimes.
See above.

blue166

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2022, 01:12:42 PM »

I agree fully with the above. I will probably just sit on landline while not costing and decide at the end of this deal if I want to port it away and go through all of that.

I am going to treat the landline in the meantime as if we don't have one.

Another question around a "1 Stage" install if that is the case as DSL Checker states.  And going back to the earlier post about the existing UG being a direct bury from the late 60s and infact it will be delivered by this pole at the rear side of property just recently installed.

Will the install all be done at same time? Or will they bundle up a run of cable at the pole before hand? I take it no one will try and gain access to my side of property or front/back before the install date to carry out any work?

All new to me so just trying to make sure I know the ins and outs as best as possible.

Thanks all.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2022, 03:56:21 PM »

Another question around a "1 Stage" install if that is the case as DSL Checker states.  And going back to the earlier post about the existing UG being a direct bury from the late 60s and infact it will be delivered by this pole at the rear side of property just recently installed.

My sister-in-law had a recent FTTP install, row of terraced houses where the original POTS was distributed from a JB, wall mounted at the front of the middle house with the respective house lines run along the eves, quite a common distribution method.
However, in this case, OR opted for FTTP fibre arial distribution at the rear of the houses from a newly erected pole/CBT.

So yes, OR fibre installation methods can vary dependant on the local logistics.
In my area, with existing POTS DIG installations, OR seem to opt for a completely new fibre run from the footway CBT chamber/toby box across the garden to a new entry point on the front wall, or where there is existing POTS cable ducting which may be partially blocked, this is broken into as near the dwelling as possible, fibre extracted, direct buried and run to the new designated entry point.   
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

blue166

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »

Another question...

Do Openreach carry various styles of dropwire brackets or just the one sort? A bit random I know. 😀
Pages: 1 [2]

anything