Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows 10 - errors when runing Windows Update or opening Microsoft Store  (Read 5154 times)

craigski

• Reg Member

What is the history of the PC you are working on? Is it yours, or someone else's with unknown history? Could it have been used in a corporate environment previously, maybe some settings on windows update need to be changed.

Check logs for clues:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-logs

chenks

• Kitizen

it's a corproate PC on a domain.
previously had windows 7 pro, upgrading (in-line) to Windows 10 Pro previously.
working fine with no issues until now.

all the settings (either set by group policy) or manually configured appear to be indentical to all the other PCs (which have had the same upgrade process and are the same make/model).

clearly there is something on this system that is stopping windows update and microsoft store from connecting, but what that is appears to be a mystery. everything else on the PC is working correctly.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

If it's a corporate PC on a domain surely the best solution is just to let the domain admins reinstall from scratch?

chenks

• Kitizen

If it's a corporate PC on a domain surely the best solution is just to let the domain admins reinstall from scratch?

that would be me.
i'm trying to avoid having to wipe and re-isntall from scratch.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

that would be me.
i'm trying to avoid having to wipe and re-isntall from scratch.

I'd complain to your domain admin if I were you, for not following best practices.  ::)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions

I assume the DC is able to contact the store and update service. Also I assume your not using WUSUS.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

chenks

• Kitizen

I assume the DC is able to contact the store and update service. Also I assume your not using WUSUS.

yes the DC can, but that is irrelevant, as even when the PC is removed from the domain the issue remains.
the issue isn't due to it being on (or off) a domain. the issue is local to the PC itself. no other PC on the network has an issue.

chenks

• Kitizen

I'd complain to your domain admin if I were you, for not following best practices.  ::)

best practices are irrelevant, as the issue occurs even when the PC is not on a domain, so you can roll your eyes back into their socket.

d2d4j

• Kitizen

Hi

You have not shown any error codes

I guess you have tried already but if not maybe worth a try

Many thanks

John

Run the following in command prompt with admin rights and then test to see if windows updates.  The store could be perhaps missing some windows updates

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

best practices are irrelevant, as the issue occurs even when the PC is not on a domain, so you can roll your eyes back into their socket.

By best practices I meant the standard "if it breaks, put a clean image of Windows back on" as would often be the case in a business setting where even installing Windows is considered too time consuming.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

See if this tool helps: https://www.wureset.com - Windows Reset Update Tool.

There is a guy that's using it on this video. He's using it on Win11, but it can be used for Win10 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY1UzGAlofQ
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2]