Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 10 - errors when runing Windows Update or opening Microsoft Store  (Read 5155 times)

chenks

• Kitizen

i'm at a loss with a Windows 10 (21H2 19044.1288) PC i am working on

Windows Update - keeps reporting with the generic error message "We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet" - offers no more info than that. there are no network connectivity issues with the PC

Microsoft Store - the "app" opens but then gives an error saying "try that again, page could not be loaded, please try again later" and code at the bottom 0x80131500

i've tried changing the DNS - made no difference (didn't expect it to though)
disable AV - made no difference.
ran the batch file from here that resets the Windows update services and cache (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html) - made no difference
manaully cleared the SoftwareDistribution folder - made no difference
ran "sfc /scannow" - made no difference
ran the windows update troublshooter - made no difference
manually checked the services, BITS, Windows Update, Sysmain - all appear to be in the correct state.

anyone any ideas what is going on and a fix ?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Honestly, the number of issues with the Windows Store is possibly longer than the Windows source code.

Last time I had an issue, I couldn't update Microsoft Flight Simulator, I uninstalled it and it wouldn't reinstall, it was only when I built a new PC with a fresh install it worked again and I'm dreading the day it breaks as a full reinstall typically seems to be the only fix when it breaks, though I don't think I got the same error as above it was even more useless.

I do love how it tells you to lookup the codes though and 9/10 the page you find has NOTHING on it to help.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen

the fact the both windows update and microsoft store are failing it makes me think there is a system issue somewhere, but so far all the "usual suspects" fixes haven't made any difference.

parkdale

• Reg Member

Have you tried the inplace upgrade?   Just a thought, been here before on my pc.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

chenks

• Kitizen

Have you tried the inplace upgrade?   Just a thought, been here before on my pc.

upgrade of what though?
21H2 19044.1288 is already the most up to date version i think?

do you mean just download the mediacreationtool and then run it over the top of the existing installation?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Or try upgrading to Windows 11?

chenks

• Kitizen

Or try upgrading to Windows 11?

not an option, windows 11 is not approved to use in the environment.

craigski

• Reg Member

anyone any ideas what is going on and a fix ?

Is date/time correct and syncing OK?

Has anyone tweaked any network settings, eg MTU? Possibly run something on PC, like CCCleaner or similar on the PC?

chenks

• Kitizen

Is date/time correct and syncing OK?

Has anyone tweaked any network settings, eg MTU? Possibly run something on PC, like CCCleaner or similar on the PC?

date/time correct and set by NTP anyway (region also correct)
network settings are also bog standard

craigski

• Reg Member

I would suggest "update now" then from here as per @parkdale:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

chenks

• Kitizen

I would suggest "update now" then from here as per @parkdale:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

maybe worth a try, but the installed build number is already higher than the "November 2021 Update", so not sure if it would attempt a downgrade or just say the installed version is already newer.

parkdale

• Reg Member

It doesn't matter about the Windows 10 build version, Download, save as ISO, mount and run setup, keep files and apps, this should check and replace whole o/s as upgrade.
You get fully refreshed Windows 10 ... hopefully fixing any problems as well  :fingers:
If any updates are missing, Windows update will find them.

chenks

• Kitizen

It doesn't matter about the Windows 10 build version, Download, save as ISO, mount and run setup, keep files and apps, this should check and replace whole o/s as upgrade.
You get fully refreshed Windows 10 ... hopefully fixing any problems as well  :fingers:
If any updates are missing, Windows update will find them.

tried that, made no difference, still same errors

parkdale

• Reg Member

Have you run the Troubleshooters for Windows update and MS store apps?

chenks

• Kitizen

Have you run the Troubleshooters for Windows update and MS store apps?

yep those were one of the first things that was tried.
Pages: [1] 2