Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Error (pkts)  (Read 1596 times)

Error (pkts)
« on: June 22, 2022, 03:03:56 AM »

Hi what usually is the cause for error packets?

Im seeing strange ping spikes in game, over 100. when usually my ping sits around 30.

Doesn't happen all the time. But when it does I know that I have just got an increase in error packets on my router logs.

I got 1 day and 15 up time hours  uptime, with upstream 153 error packets. Downstream 194 error packets.

Could it be the DLM trying to stabilise my line?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Error (pkts)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 08:23:19 AM »

What exactly do you mean by ‘error packets’ ? What are you seeing?

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 01:21:02 PM »

packet loss in game?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 02:35:29 PM »

Probably something like this
   Upstream   Downstream
Current Rate(kbps)   8445   20279
Max Rate(kbps)   9451   39356
SNR Margin(dB)   8.3   16.7
Line Attenuation(dB)   34.5   19
Errors(pkts)   54   787

TP_Link routers report errors like this, as to what they actually are is not clear but probably CRC errors.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »

It would be useful if we could see the router stats. It's certainly not DLM as any action taken by that will be seen as a full resync of the line.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 03:43:50 AM »

What exactly do you mean by ‘error packets’ ? What are you seeing?

I am seeing high ping in game & packet loss, and when that happens the error count increases alot in the router stats page.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 03:47:08 AM by 111888 »

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 03:55:38 AM »

I am seeing high ping in game & packet loss, and when that happens the error count increases alot in the router stats page.

Doesnt happen all the time but often I will notice my ping raised alot with packetloss. then I check the router error count and it has increased.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 06:42:10 PM »

Unfortunately the TP-LINK modem doesn’t give us much detail. I’d like to know what the interleave depth is. That might be changing because of actions taken by DLM. I don’t understand the "errors (pkts)" thing as I don’t know what the units are, what exactly packets means, nor the ‘errors since when’. I’m assuming the errors are either RS CRC unrecoverable / uncorrectable errors, or if G.INP is employed how many times ReTX fails due to exceeding the retransmission count limit or time limit. Is G.INP enabled ?

The downstream SNRM is very low. A low SNRM means more speed, more risky and less reliability, potentially with more errors. 6dB is a typical target SNRM (ie initial value).

Does it start off at 3 dB, or is it initially higher, around 6 dB and then drops? If it is always around 3 dB then fair enough. In that case DLM must think it’s ok to risk 3 dB in order to gain extra speed.

You asked when you get errors. Corrupt data as received by the modem at one or other end is due to a number of things: general background noise or noise spikes/bursts. Noise can be electromagnetic radio interference picked up through the airwaves from nearby bad equipment or radio stations. Crosstalk is always present - this is the signal from other copper wires leaking through into your copper link. Crosstalk causes a lot of corruption and counts effectively as a type of background noise, an unwanted signal. Bursts of noise come from things such as electrical sparks and badly implemented high-current switches: faulty motors, heating controller equipment, electric fences, twinkling xmas lights, faulty streetlights - these are all known potential villains.

Packet loss is either due to corruption of packets or it’s an intentional discarding of a packet by a router because there is too much data and the network is overloaded. Protocols such as TCP can intentionally use this mechanism to tell them to slow down, a machine is sending too fast for the network or too fast for the receiving process in the destination machine. Packet loss can be a natural and necessary thing in this case. Your modem or router will not report this type of packet loss, only packet loss due to corruption. Some ISPs, such as my own, can report packet loss in the network as well as at one or the other end. This is done by using an end-to-end, ping-like echo mechanism.

If you are lucky enough to have something called G.Vector which is crosstalk cancellation technology where the signal from other wires is analysed and a kind of anti-interference is added to cancel unwanted neighbouring signals, like noise cancelling headphones, then this is a great speed and reliability benefit. Unfortunately you scanty router stats don’t tell us whether or not G.Vector is available.

See Kitz’s articles on these subjects in the main website.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 07:04:27 PM by Weaver »

anything