Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question regarding FTTP after area upgraded recently  (Read 2222 times)

blue166

Question regarding FTTP after area upgraded recently
« on: June 14, 2022, 01:15:47 PM »

Hi all,

Question for you. I have been following the work going on in my area and finally appear to have FTTP installed locally now. Been seeing the work going on for several weeks.

OR have installed a new pole just behind my house to the side. Current copper comes up through a duct in the ground at front of house.

Now when checking DSL Checker and looking at the FTTP notes further down it mentions that the property will be served by Overhead pole at rear of property.

Will this be the new poll that currently have a CBT on it running to the existing pole further down the side road?

Is this correct or database error as the existing copper comes up out the ground at the front of property. No overhead cable at all on my street as all UG.

Will OR really change delivery to my property now from the rear pole and not look to use UG Feed?

I don't mind if it's straight forward enough but a little confused.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 03:55:04 PM by blue166 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Question regarding FTTP after area upgraded recently
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 02:37:47 PM »

Without knowing your infrastructure layout, it's hard to give a definite answer .... but there are two types of underground feed to premises ....

1) Direct in Ground (DiG) cable, this cable has a steel wire armour wrapped around it for protection and back in the 60's and 70's they tended to use this stuff on the then new houses being erected. The cable was basically led on the ground and the streets and houses built on top of it.

2) Ducted feeds, the feed of choice for the last 30yrs or so .... basically a hollow tube connecting up the infrastructure from underground box to underground box and finally to the outside of the premises.

If your copper feed is No.1, then the surveyor will have probably quite rightly used civils/cost reduction techniques and opted for what are called 'Carrier Poles' to get the fibre cables overhead from point A to point B.
The mandatory Reg 5 notice will have been sent into the Council for their approval,  and also a statement of intent affixed at the site of any new poles to be erected, giving residents 28 days notice to complain.

If the residents do not want the poles, then the high likelihood is that the build would be shelved for now as 'high cost', and picked up at a later date with a higher-funded FTTP programme.

blue166

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 06:10:32 PM »

Well option 1 that you mention would make sense. The property is a late 60s build and I guess the cable coming up at the front of the house might give the impression that it is coming in via a front UG Feed when in fact it is coming in from behind us UG.

So if this pole remains in place this is the new feed I guess then. It would mean if all ok that the cable would need running down the side and around the front of the property for entry the same as current copper (I would prefer this entry point). I guess that would be ok?

Interesting what you learn along the way.

I also know I have one of those 3 cover man hole things only a few meters away at the front of my house slightly to side. I always thought they played a part in my connection. When I seen the guy in there all day last week with fibre cable I thought I bet this must run to the property. Guess I was very wrong.

I am tempted to try and upgrade my 80/20 FTTC connection since it shows Ultrafast available. Have been with BT since 2013. Only thing is I know if have to not take a landline if I want to use own RTAC86U Asus Router. Mind you I really don't require a landline at this time. Just an ornament. Shame to lose the number though.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 06:15:59 PM by blue166 »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 07:59:03 PM »

You could port the number to a VOIP provider there shouldn’t be much cost other than the porting fee then you have the number to use easily.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 08:17:17 PM »

The mandatory Reg 5 notice will have been sent into the Council for their approval,  and also a statement of intent affixed at the site of any new poles to be erected, giving residents 28 days notice to complain.

Of course, they may have fitted that statement like this.  ::)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

blue166

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 08:46:28 PM »

You could port the number to a VOIP provider there shouldn’t be much cost other than the porting fee then you have the number to use easily.

I've heard stories of BT closing people's account when trying to port a landline to VOIP. Would that mess a FTTP upgrade up? How does that work?

Thanks.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 10:32:50 PM »

When you port a number it shuts down the copper service and obviously the FTTC service, but when you have your FTTP service it won’t effect that.

Iain

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 10:59:18 PM »

Plusnet are now allowing existing customers to upgrade from xDSL to FTTP, however like EE they have no digital voice and the phone line and xDSL service are closed in the process. Understandably many are not happy, others not so bothered.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 11:29:34 PM »

The safe route is to order a new FTTP service. When established you can port the number and that closes the original service.

blue166

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 08:21:24 AM »

O don't know whether to be bothered by keeping a landline or not right now. I'm going back and forwards in my head over it.

Part of me is like just let it go and get a new number later on down the road with a VOIP provider if need be.

The biggest issue is just staying with BT and not wanting to use there router which is the only way you can use there VOIP service. My preference is still to use my ASUS RTAC86u.

Uhmm...

You guys make some valid points. Just got to figure out if a landline means much to me at this current time.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 09:00:59 AM »

Mind you I really don't require a landline at this time. Just an ornament. Shame to lose the number though.

Just got to figure out if a landline means much to me at this current time.

If you are thinking this, ditch it, you will feel liberated once gone, removing the landline/dect phone clutter from the house, etc. I was in similar position, 3 months before my FTTP install, couldn't decide if I still needed landline, decided I wouldn't need it with FTTP. Anyone who still called landline number during the three months before FTTP install, was advised to call mobiles in household.

blue166

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 01:09:47 PM »

If you are thinking this, ditch it, you will feel liberated once gone, removing the landline/dect phone clutter from the house, etc. I was in similar position, 3 months before my FTTP install, couldn't decide if I still needed landline, decided I wouldn't need it with FTTP. Anyone who still called landline number during the three months before FTTP install, was advised to call mobiles in household.

I think you have helped make up my mind. I will look to ditch it at this time. If I ever go for VOIP down the road I will look to a service that works with any old router and take the hit on a new number. For now mobiles are more than enough for contact.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 07:32:16 PM »

My wife has had our phone number for 15 years and it’s a fairly easy one (repetitive digits). She was reluctant to get rid of it but nowadays is open to having VoIP client when the time comes. The only people who ring are - her mum, and they both have unlimited minute mobiles

And various people trying to find the local chippy/surgery/skip place…..

I’ll be glad to see the back of it. I don’t think I’ve placed a call on it for years.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 11:12:24 AM »

I always preferred to use landline, I find it really hard to tell what people are saying over the cell network, the landline is much clearer.  VoIP should also have that benefit though.  Honestly mobile should be better, but it doesn't seem to use HD Voice from mobile to landline calls.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 01:50:03 PM »

If you are at home, enable 'WiFi calling' on your mobile, ie avoid the mobile network if you are getting poor call quality.
Pages: [1] 2

anything