Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC installation shrink  (Read 4189 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
FTTC installation shrink
« on: June 10, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »

For the first time ever since 2008, FTTC installations shrank last week.

Great news as it enforces the fact that people are taking up the new full-fibre products available. There are now over 2 million people connected to the OR FF network, with a total of 7.5million homes and businesses passed.

The march continues  :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC installation shrink
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 10:07:37 AM »

Good news. Openreach has been impressive on the FTTP rollout.

Any ideas on whether they’re going to be covering more rural areas?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 12:49:10 PM »

Strange, I'd have thought it would indicate that people cannot afford FTTC, and are switching to Mobile.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 02:46:04 PM »

Good news. Openreach has been impressive on the FTTP rollout.

Any ideas on whether they’re going to be covering more rural areas?

A bit of an open-ended question I'm afraid, mate - OR are covering many, many rural FTTP builds with forecasts to ramp this up even further, with the new 8,000 recruits being taken on,  over this year and last year.

Of course, in anything in life, there'll be winners and losers ... or 'being built' and 'not being built'. But, the churn is constant and the predicted build dates getting increasingly closer. Take my own area for example, it wasn't even pencilled in on any of the forecasting systems just a few months ago (even the in-house systems).
But as it stands ... it is currently 1/3 built, as of today.

Cheers.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 02:47:50 PM »

Strange, I'd have thought it would indicate that people cannot afford FTTC, and are switching to Mobile.

I'll stick with the official line that says take-up of FTTP is far more prevalent, hence the drop in FTTC.  :)

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 05:29:01 PM »

There are now over 2 million people connected to the OR FF network, with a total of 7.5million homes and businesses passed.

The march continues  :)

I'm curious, who is marching faster, the team passing the homes/business or the team connecting them? ie is the gap getting smaller or bigger as % of these two figures?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 06:50:57 PM »

@craigski  There is no team connecting properties who have not ordered the FTTP service. So it would appear that a lot of people either don't know about it so don't know they can get it or many others who do know and don't want it and consider their ADSL or FTTC service meets their needs.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 11:43:20 PM »

Take up of FTTP is currently running at around 25%.

Openreach have previously said that this is higher than they expected at this stage and they expect the percentage to fall as the rollout gathers pace.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 02:47:19 PM »

@craigski  There is no team connecting properties who have not ordered the FTTP service. So it would appear that a lot of people either don't know about it so don't know they can get it or many others who do know and don't want it and consider their ADSL or FTTC service meets their needs.

craigski - what he said ^^^.

'Homes passed' is just a poncy term used to say FTTP is available to 'x' amount of premises - why we have to use cr5p speak like this, is beyond me ??.

So in a nutshell, all the FTTP connections are made from the Head End, right through to the distribution point near to the customers house (Overhead pole, underground chamber, wall block). Only when an order is received from the customer, will the final connection be made.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 11:34:31 AM »

Thanks, I understand both your replies, but maybe my question was not asked correctly, let try another way   :)

A) OR are 'passing homes' or making FTTP available at an increasing rate per week/month.

B) OR are also 'connecting' homes once orders placed at an increasing/decreasing/stable? rate per week/month.

I was curious if the rate of (A) was higher than (B), ie they are passing homes at a faster rate than connecting/receiving orders? As I'm assuming 'B' will be partially funding 'A', ie they dont get the orders, the rate of passing will slow?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 11:38:42 AM »

A) OR are 'passing homes' or making FTTP available at an increasing rate per week/month.

B) OR are also 'connecting' homes once orders placed at an increasing/decreasing/stable? rate per week/month.

I was curious if the rate of (A) was higher than (B), ie they are passing homes at a faster rate than connecting/receiving orders? As I'm assuming 'B' will be partially funding 'A', ie they dont get the orders, the rate of passing will slow?

As I mentioned above, Openreach expect A to increase more than B in the short/medium term.

This won't make any to their current rollout.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 12:35:00 PM »

Thanks, I understand both your replies, but maybe my question was not asked correctly, let try another way   :)

Aha - I see what you mean now, mate.

A will always be higher than B, until such times as the FTTP infrastructure has been completely put in place.

I'm not part of the book-keeping side of things, but I would humbly suggest that B isn't actually funding any part of A at this time. I think the two entities will likely be kept separate for financial reporting as if there wasn't even one single person who had taken up FTTP once available, the roll-out would still continue as a commercial/part funded project.

Believe me when I say, A is on a continuous upward trend as we employ more people and learn and educate ourselves from previous mistakes made. So in effect, the chances are the gap between A and B will increase further as we pass more homes quicker than ever before. Hope this makes sense ??

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 07:43:07 AM »

Plus the fact that while its a lot more work, each section completed increases passed home by quite a lot.

On the other hand people ordering the service means you've got an engineer doing just ONE property and backlogs building up because there's just not enough engineers to keep on top of the installs.

I wonder how the man hours installing one property actually compares to the process in getting the infrastructure itself in the ground/air?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 06:12:52 PM »

Hope this makes sense ??
Yep, thanks!

anything