Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach pain  (Read 856 times)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
Openreach pain
« on: June 06, 2022, 03:41:00 PM »

Hi All,

I've been the unfortunate victim of yet another an Openreach 'fudge' after my install hell. Since my install issues were sorted in Feb I've had a perfectly stable FTTC line at 79Mbps/19Mbps, SNR's around 8, Attenuation around 12. Uptime of 80 days, absolutely flawless.

Today, I noticed an Openreach guy working in my local street cabinet. For some reason whatever he was doing caused my line to re-sync a few times, this has now changed my sync speeds to 33Mbps/4Mbps, SNR 6 and Attenuation of 23. What on earth have they done now? I didn't ask for any work on my line, I've gone no issues logged with my ISP...so it feels like I've been inadvertently impacted by some horrendous Openreach fudge that is totally out of my control.

Now I'm having to go through the pain of dealing with Vodafone to try and report an issue which is like pulling teeth, when I know full well it was working fine until Openreach visited.

What can I do in this instance? Is there anyone in Openreach who you can talk to, or are they still hiding behind ISP's? It seems like I'm spinning wheels with Vodafone with them sending out new routers and 'cables' when I know it needs an Openreach visit to undo whatever they've done.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 03:43:34 PM by sotonsam »
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Openreach pain
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 03:55:28 PM »

Could be DLM, though the upstream sync interference suggests otherwise.
You can not speak to Openreach directly, have to go through the ISP.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 03:59:08 PM »

Could be DLM, though the upstream sync interference suggests otherwise.
You can not speak to Openreach directly, have to go through the ISP.

These are the current sync stats I have.

Max:    Upstream rate = 4406 Kbps, Downstream rate = 33477 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 4123 Kbps, Downstream rate = 33454 Kbps

DSL Stats sent me a couple of emails just before the resync, and whilst he was still in the cab, about CRC errors -
Downstream CRC/min rose to 1576.50

RSCorr/RS (%):             0.0027      0.0031
RSUnCorr/RS (%):           0.0001      0.0000
ES/hour:                   4.65      426

But the attenuation jumping from 13 to 23 is a concern.

Attn(dB):        22.7            0.0

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »

Do you have a telephone connection on that line, and does it still work correctly (ringing in and dialing out)?
I ask as I wonder if you have a partial disconnection that is still allowing some broadband service.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 04:50:40 PM »

Do you have a telephone connection on that line, and does it still work correctly (ringing in and dialing out)?
I ask as I wonder if you have a partial disconnection that is still allowing some broadband service.

Good shout. Just tried an old phone on the socket and bar an occasional buzz/hiss, it's silent. No dial tone at all.

Good job openreach!

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 05:13:22 PM »

Raise the voice fault as the primary issue with Vodaphone.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 05:48:22 PM »

Good shout. Just tried an old phone on the socket and bar an occasional buzz/hiss, it's silent. No dial tone at all.

Good job openreach!

Ok, ok .... calm down mate ... mistakes can and do happen, especially when working in the cross-connected Cabinets with the sheer amount of wiring inside them.

As mentioned, it sounds like a partial disconnection of 1-leg which would give all the symptoms you mention. My guess is the Cabinet has Quante/Krone/BICC IDC type connectors - one has to be like a damned surgeon when working on these trips, especially if the Cab is a 'busy one'.

Vodaphone should run a remote test that will return a '1-leg disconnection fault' with a recommendation that the engineer visit the Cab first based upon the measured distance to fault. This is good for you, as it means you won't need an appointment making to be at home, ergo the wait time will be far less.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 10:43:13 PM »

Yeah a no dial tone line fault is a slam dunk. You should not have any bother getting that sorted, and also credit from your ISP for the time without the service.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

anything