Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VOIP Delayed ringing when receiving incoming calls?  (Read 2434 times)

AnthonyG

VOIP Delayed ringing when receiving incoming calls?
« on: May 28, 2022, 03:13:02 PM »

I am hoping this may be a very simple issue.

But yesterday I switched finally over to VOIP porting my landline over to it fully. I am with Sipgate and have a Grandstream HT802 as my Voip Adapter connecting my regular Dect phone to it.

I have one issue with it. And that is when someone telephones me so thus its an incoming call my end, its taking sometime for it to actually ring on my landline phone.

So what I mean by this is, if someone rings from another landline or a mobile. It is taking about 6 or ringing pings/pulses (or whatever you call them) and thus about 6-10 seconds before I even get one ring on my landline phone.

Is there a way you can change that so as soon as you ring my landline number, it also will ring on my phone? Or at the very least drop the time down a bit so its only a 2 second delay as opposed to a very long 6-10 second delay.

What setting would that even be? And would that be an issue with Sipgate or a setting wrong on my HT802? I am guessing I may have something set wrong on my HT802 but I am not sure what this would even fall under to allow me to know what to change.

Massive thanks is anyone knows whats causing this.

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: VOIP Delayed ringing when receiving incoming calls?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 03:58:45 PM »

I get exactly the same on my BT digital voice system, the BT "Alexa" phone which is Wi-Fi connected to the BT SH-2 rings but it is approx 5 secs before my DECT handsets ring.
My Gigaset DECT base station is connected via a BT "Digital Voice Adapter" which in turn is connected to the Hub by Wi-Fi, however, have noted that connecting the DECT base directly to the Hub telephone socket still produces exactly the same situation so not a Wi-Fi associated delay as such.

Doesn't really bother me and no idea why this occurs but would appear not to be Sipgate VOIP specific.   
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 04:28:02 PM »

. . . about 6 or ringing pings/pulses (or whatever you call them) . . .

"Ringing cadences" would be my description.

Hmm . . . I'm not that familiar with the HT802 and its configuration. I have access to a (currently not deployed) HT801 and cannot find anything obvious in its settings.

However there is one thing that I will mention. In the device configuration, under the "FXS PORT" tab, do you have the "SLIC Setting" as "UK" and "Caller ID Scheme" as "SIN 227 - BT"?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AnthonyG

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 09:56:11 PM »

However there is one thing that I will mention. In the device configuration, under the "FXS PORT" tab, do you have the "SLIC Setting" as "UK" and "Caller ID Scheme" as "SIN 227 - BT"?

I did not have either, changed both now to the correct ones as you suggest. Thanks for this. I am surprised the Sipgate setup advice pages did not mention about changing those as they seem like they would be important to set.

I will see if they make a difference.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 10:20:35 PM »

I have had this problem in the past using my voip adapters. I helped it a bit by changing the ringing setting to make the ringing current burst longer, giving a non standard ringing sequence. I put the problem down to the fact that the Grandstream  box did not quite have enough voltage drive for my phone base station. Later I  replaced my cordless phone equipment for another type, and the problem has not shown up again on any of the ATA's, I have used since.