Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT SH-2 Periodic Rebooting  (Read 1419 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
BT SH-2 Periodic Rebooting
« on: May 28, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »

Does the BT SH-2 Hub periodically re-boot?
I believe previous BT Hub models did incorporate this "feature" but don't have any personal experience with BT supplied devices until migrating to FTTP with BT a few months ago.

I have noticed my SH-2 Hub in the process of re-booting a few times where the ONT was still indicating a completely healthy connection, can't advise on the re-boot frequency or if at any particular time, would certainly be a number of days interval.
Obviously not a big issue with FTTP, just curious?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: BT SH-2 Periodic Rebooting
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 12:10:38 PM »

Does the BT SH-2 Hub periodically re-boot?

It does not.

The BT Hub 6 would reboot every 14 days for some customers, but not for all.

If your SH2 is rebooting every few days I would be on to BT to get a replacement.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 12:37:08 PM »

@j0hn:
Thanks for the information.

May be way off with the re-boot frequency but can definately state that the ONT was indicating healthy on all "observed" occasions.
With no active monitoring as per previous VDSL FTTC service can't easily tie down any drop outs.

I do have a RPi-3B running PiHole and a RPi-3B+ running my MQTT Broker, both permanantly powered and ethernet LAN connected so could probably run a simple routine on one of the devices to monitor/log loss of LAN, a possible project!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 04:10:10 PM »

If the router is pingable from the internet, or you can allow a device that is permanently on to be pingable (may need firewall rules), set up a monitor at https://f8lure.mouselike.org/auth.asp. One of the options that has is to send you an email when the monitored service goes down.

I have two running using IPv6 addresses of my NAS box and my WiFi repeater - if both go down I know that the router or upstream of the router is down.

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 09:53:31 PM »

@jelv:
Thanks for the information, will look into the mouselike.org monitor option, have only ever used mouselike.org previously (on VDSL FTTC) to obtain BRAS profile.

The BT SH-2 GUI does give limited information which includes "DSL Uptime", using this information can scroll back through the "Technical Log" to the re-boot event which will likely be sufficient to establish the re-boot frequency.

My permanently on RPi-3B+ MQTT broker runs Node-Red and Grafana amongst other utilities, I already monitor, display and archieve the RPi CPU/GPU temperatures so should be quite easy to add a LAN failure monitor.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 11:05:23 AM »

Having monitored the SH-2 log for a few weeks would appear that the PPP session drop out/reconnection is every 12 to 14 days, now inclined to think that it's not a Hub re-boot as originally reported but just a loss/renewal of PPP session.

Rather than over complicate logging, have just periodically monitored/recorded the SH-2 "DSL Uptime" from it's GUI, it's then quite easy to scroll back the "event log" filtered by PPP to establish exactly when the session drop out/reconnection occured.
Have only caught the Hub "in the act" of reconnecting once, the time of day appears to be quite random.
Obviously with FTTP there is no real impact to the system, reconnection is virtually instantenous, can't get overly excited, just curious!
Never been in a position to monitor the ONT LED status indications during a drop out/reconnection.   

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 12:46:18 PM »

If you haven't seen them, in the SH2 Technical Log, there are options to filter the event log by Boot and FRMU which you may find helpful

I would also try another PSU if you have one..

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 02:04:09 PM »

If you haven't seen them, in the SH2 Technical Log, there are options to filter the event log by Boot and FRMU which you may find helpful
Ahh, silly me, had not noticed the scroll bar in the filter options menu!
Yes, "boot" filtered listing is very informative, many thanks.

I would also try another PSU if you have one..
May have something of a comparable rating/similar connector from old, redundant routers, still not convinced that the Hub is actually rebooting, just dropping PPP session for whatever reason.

FRMU filter confirms the last FW upgrade on 08/04/22, only been FTTP'ed since 24/03/22.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 12:41:58 PM »

From the Hub log would appear that the PPP session renewal or reboot is continuing in the same pattern as previously reported, have only ever caught it in the act of re-synchronising once.
As stated previously, no big deal on FTTP just a point of interest.

anything