Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach delays for FTTP install - any insider info available?  (Read 1263 times)

biohead

• Reg Member
Openreach delays for FTTP install - any insider info available?
« on: October 16, 2022, 01:35:49 PM »

Are there any courteous Openreach employees on here who are able to have a look at an open order which has come across some issues?

Recently moved house, and we arranged the FTTP install a month out - hoping we wouldn't be too long without a proper connection due to WFH needs. The BTW checker does state it's a KCI2 Assure install, and hints at a blocked duct. It wasn't roped like other properties nearby, but it also isn't duct 54/56 coming out the ground, it's substantially smaller (again, other properties have much wider ducts popping out the ground). The chamber itself is on the front garden, so not a large run at all assuming that's where the blockage is (if there is a blockage, and it's not the strange duct size causing the issue).

Talktalk (the ISP) are implying that it's still waiting on Openreach, but getting further info out of them is like drawing blood from a stone.

Curiousity is the name of the game mainly, I'm not looking to expedite things but would be quite intrigued to see what goes on behind the scenes for these tricky installs.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach delays for FTTP install - any insider info available?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 03:58:50 PM »

I don't look at individual orders, but I can tell you hand-on-heart that 'Stage 1' issues (which is what you have, here), are being addressed like nothing else I've seen in years.

Can not give you anything else, other than a massive amount of manpower is being diverted into resolving these L2C problems. Hopefully, very soon things will progress ??

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 07:17:29 PM »

Jumping on the bandwagon that's promising to hear Black Sheep. My 1 Stage install [OH flight] is Tuesday the following week - selfishly I am hoping for an OR direct engineer but beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah its a shame that more is not shared with the customer biohead I am also curious what actual notes (if any) are visible for a ISP support rep. I did find out my install was deferred a day due to OR strikes on the Monday that doesn't bother me in the slightest personally believe they are reasonable grounds.

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 08:17:56 AM »

Thanks Black Sheep, definitely reassuring to hear.

Having seen a rollout from the very beginning in Bracknell (where a significant amount of new infrastructure was required) to reuse of existing infrastructure in South Elmsall, I'm appreciating just how bigmammoth a task Openreach have on their hands.

Fortunately, I'm pleasantly surprised by our 3 mobile broadband putting us on - it beats our FTTC connection in Bracknell by some margin.

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 05:17:30 PM »

And just like that, two vans appeared and 15 mins later 1st stage complete. Now to see how long Talktalk take to get back in touch for a new appointment.

I did offer for them to use the existing copper line as a drawstring if needed (we have no service, and our area is Fibre Priority now so ruled it out) which they seemed thankful for, but turned out it wasn't required. Purely down to the narrow duct size not being wide enough for the blue-rope - so understandably missed during the "big bang" rollout.

anything