Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

Broadcom's PhyR and G.Inp

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
[Moderator note: This discussion has been split off from the "Fritzbox 7590 AX not talking to DSL" topic.]

As Alex said, I am using ADSL2 and lucky enough to have an exchange that uses a Broadcom chipset like my ZyXel modem so the two can speak the powerful PhyR L2 ReTx error correction protocol. This improves downstream performance greatly and allows me to safely run at 3dB SNRM downstream. This gives me about a 10-20% downstream speed improvement. See https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/1211168566993

Edinburgh_lad:
This study is done by Broadcom. 'Something is rotten in the state of Denmark' one would want to state here in response...

Anyhoo, if the line is 'kaput', you can try as many PhyR technologies etc. as you want, but ultimately, the line would need fixed. Because, there's so much you can fix in terms of broken packets. (Just for comparison, you can glue two pieces together and the item may look like new, but ultimately, it'll be weaker in that area as a result.) So, I think everyone with problem lines has hopes that filters and different technologies will do magic there, but effectively, that's not the case: the issue must be tackled at the root.

Therefore, I'd argue that these PhyR technologies are only good for a temp problem, like occasional noise.

Edinburgh_lad:
Yeah, the right word has come back to me: PhyR can be used as a way of 'minimising' the effects of issues, but not 'eliminating' them.

(Ipse) dixit.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: Edinburgh_lad on May 19, 2022, 05:39:32 PM ---Therefore, I'd argue that these PhyR technologies are only good for a temp problem, like occasional noise.

--- End quote ---

You seem to be overlooking the fact Weavers lines are very long, there is no "fixing" them.  It merely helps them to perform to their maximum potential.

Edinburgh_lad:
But I thought this PhyR thing is about impulse noise protection, rather than length of the line. So, yeah, his line is long, but how does it relate to PhyR?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version