Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fritzbox 7590 AX not talking to DSL  (Read 3476 times)

srt

• Reg Member
Fritzbox 7590 AX not talking to DSL
« on: May 13, 2022, 06:53:20 PM »

Hi,
I have the above new router which I wanted to replace my older 7530 with  as an extender (mesh). Unfortunately after a nightmare attempting to get into the user interface which was all in German,I’m not, I finally managed it and as far as I can tell I’ve set it up with my Zen settings but after several attempts it just would not connect to the internet even with Zens tireless efforts over the phone it was felt to be incompatible to U.K. broadband and that I should return the 7590 AX  :(. I still feel this is wrong as it recognises all my other hardware in its user interface and that there must be a solution but just what I don’t know. I’ve sent AVM a tech request for advice but just wondered if anyone here might have an idea.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Fritzbox 7590 AX not talking to DSL
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 07:44:25 PM »

Hmm . . . A long shot but as you say "the user interface which was all in German", wonder if you have a device for xDSL over ISDN -- which will never connect -- instead of xDSL over POTS?

What size is the xDSL socket on 7590AX? Is it 8P2C or 6P2C? (RJ45 or RJ11 in size?)  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 11:41:34 AM »

...wonder if you have a device for xDSL over ISDN -- which will never connect -- instead of xDSL over POTS?

What size is the xDSL socket on 7590AX? Is it 8P2C or 6P2C? (RJ45 or RJ11 in size?)  :-\

My thoughts too.
The socket type may not be a reliable indicator though as Fritz do use an RJ45 type for UK DSL on some models.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 02:27:08 PM »

The socket type may not be a reliable indicator though as Fritz do use an RJ45 type for UK DSL on some models.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that fact.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 09:49:33 PM »

Thanks for your inputs.
Just to clarify a bit. I managed to get the user interface operating in English but tbh I am pretty much at a loss as to the type of socket size but the cable I used for the 7530 which I am still using will not work with the 5790.
The 5790 came with a TAE connector on one end ( for phone) and a regular one for the face plate. It also has a black converter similar looking to a filter which the TAE end connects to and then it plugs into the DSL port on the 5790 but I still get no internet handshake However that cable set up will work ok with the 7530 ???
I still await a reply from AVM Fritzbox but surely their routers are able to work in the U.K. as my older 7530 supplied by Zen does? Incidentally I understand the 7590 does not utilise ISDN so not sure if that helps?

[Moderator edited to correct a typo in the last line: 5790 ---> 7590]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 11:49:21 PM by burakkucat »

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 10:40:20 PM »

In simple terms, if you got a German version of the Fritz, then it won't work in the UK. It's to do with the type of Annex that is used in Germany and Poland (Annex B) vs. the rest of Europe, which is Annex A. Here's an explanation of that in relation to Draytek, but I believe it's also applicable to other modems.

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5002

Another thing to consider is that if you have no ADSL2+, then 7590 won't work.

Finally, are you connecting it to the right socket? (light grey)

If all wrong, it's possible that the modem is faulty. I've seen two Drayteks with faulty modems - they simply couldn't connect to DSL.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 10:52:55 PM by Edinburgh_lad »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 11:19:47 PM »

I downloaded the manual for the 7590 and found the attached. May confirm suspicions.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 11:47:00 PM »

I downloaded the manual for the 7590 and found the attached.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Very confusing.  ???

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 08:48:39 AM »

Yep, why no reference to annexes for VDSL when it does for ADSL?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 10:24:05 AM »

I have a 7590 not AX version. Fritz!boxes are normally universal so can be used thoughout the EU. I have checked the Configuration file as this lists all possible connections. Sanity check :fingers: What setting have you put in? English and Region United Kingdom, Line settings Annex A, Internet Connection VLan 101 Pbit 0, ATM DSL set as auto (but will revert to something!!).
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 03:21:55 PM »

Again thanks all. I’ve set it to English U.K. but as to the line settings I’m a bit of a novice and would appreciate a guide as to how to do what you’ve indicated.
I am sure the DSL cable is plugged in correctly as the three I’ve been using all work fine with the 7530. Interestingly the fault checker shows DSL interrupted and that ipV4 is not connected.
In all honesty I have requested a return to the seller as it isn’t fit for U.K. operations but will be more than happy to keep it if only the damn thing would connect with internet  :-\

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 11:52:00 AM »

Yep, why no reference to annexes for VDSL when it does for ADSL?

Because Fritzboxes do both VDSL Annex A & B (POTS & ISDN) via their single RJ45 port.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 05:59:18 AM »

Just updating. The business I am looking to return the Fritzbox to seem to want to delay matters and asked for pictures of the box. I have done so and spotted a section on the boxes back whic translated says “ This product is designed for the following network access interfaces
provision of public telecommunications networks in Germany:
DSL connection with or without a splitter”. So it will not work in the U.K. as Edinburgh lad stated earlier. I will pursue return and cite fit for purpose consumer rights act.
Thanks for all your input  :)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »

Glad you managed to identify the issue.

Also, for information, there seems to be misinformation about Fritz's Annex A and B, some people wrongly believing that Annex B should be chosen on VDSL lines. So, for all exchanges (Broadcom and Infineon/ECI), it should be Annex A on the Fritzbox. The only time when you should choose Annex B is when your cabinet has the Ikanos chipset.

However, if you choose Annex B for Broadcom/Infineon, Fritzbox will ignore this setting and treat it as if it was Annex A, which is why probably some have been successful with running their connection with Annex B setting - still unaware of the difference - thinking/being convinced that this is the correct setting.

Such Fritz boxes are still aimed for the international market (POTS).

Confusingly, Annex B also refers to ISDN, which is what is used in Germany and Poland, but not by all providers, which adds to the confusion. In such cases, modems are identified as working with specific providers, for example modem working with Orange or 1&1 or Deutche Telekom in Germany, or TPSA or Dialog in Poland, rather than modem for Annex A or Annex B.

Therefore, if you order telecoms equipment from Germany especially (in relation to Fritzbox), you have to pay attention what market it is for. If it's for the German market, it won't work in the UK. If it's for the international market, it'll work in the UK. Then, you can choose 'Annex A' or 'Annex B' in Fritz's settings, depending on the chipset installed in your cabinet (Annex A for most).   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 01:47:44 PM by Edinburgh_lad »

Woolwich

• Not in SE18
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 11:59:11 AM »

The business I am looking to return the Fritzbox to seem to want to delay matters and asked for pictures of the box.

This is the problem with FritzBoxes only being available from Zen and there being no official retail sellers. Years ago I bought a few 7490s from a reputable VAT registered UK business - still in existence! They were marked as "international" and work fine to this day. I've been looing for a couple more and trawled all the usual places. Discounting Amazon and eBay there are none to be had.* So where did you get yours?

*None that pass my bargepole test, UK, VAT registered etc
Pages: [1] 2