Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scotland R100  (Read 1891 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Scotland R100
« on: May 13, 2022, 07:47:32 AM »

For info:

This summer, the cable laying & repair vessel, the Normand Clipper ... will dig a 3mtr trench on the seabed and will be laying 16 cables over a total length of 200km in order to connect 15 islands who have never had a sub-sea cable in their history.

As an aside, the longest cable approx 135km, will be from Shetland to Sanday.

craigski

• Reg Member
Re: Scotland R100
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 10:13:51 AM »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »

fantastic- thank you for this!

Derpy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »

Thanks for this!
Fingers crossed it all goes well.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 03:19:53 PM »

Interesting developments.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 06:44:07 PM »

For info:

This summer, the cable laying & repair vessel, the Normand Clipper ... will dig a 3mtr trench on the seabed and will be laying 16 cables over a total length of 200km in order to connect 15 islands who have never had a sub-sea cable in their history.

As an aside, the longest cable approx 135km, will be from Shetland to Sanday.

I think they should ask you Blacksheep to be guest of honour at the big turn on.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 07:38:43 PM »

Perhaps it could be diverted, to drop off a fibre link to the shore line at Heasta, Isle of Skye.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 06:46:36 AM »

We in the Hebrides had an extensive lot of cable-laying some years ago and iirc the Orkney group of islands were interlinked well. But it seems that, for some reason, the Shetland group’s islands were forgotten back then. Now, it seems, Shetland is being linked to Orkney via the island of Sanday which is one of the furthest northernmost Orkney islands. Presumably that link connects there to the existing link from Sanday to Orkney ‘Mainland’ (which is the largest island in the Orkney group and not to be confused with the mainland of Scotland).

(Having your map open will help.) ;)

Burakkucat mentioned the shore where I am, in the village of Heasta on the west coast/atlantic coast of Skye. A fibre cable running from the village of Ealaghoil down the atlantic coast of Skye to Tarskavaig south of us, or even down to Mallaig on the Mainland, calling in at many small villages such as Heasta would provide valuable redundancy for us if we also had a direct, short link from Heasta to the village of Broadford, which is about 4.5 miles north of us. A coastal link would not make sense as a way of serving Heasta alone, given the fact that there’s no convenient existing connectivity elsewhere along such a coastal route, and also given the fact that Heasta is so near to Broadford overland, where plentiful existing connectivity can be had. But if a link to Heasta could be a stepping-off point to all the rest of the west coast villages of South Skye then a Skye west coast run would start to make sense. Indeed, serving Tarskavaig only via Heasta and the coast could make sense, saving a long overland link.

I’ve no idea how much short ‘hop’ undersea links along a coastline from place to place cost. The hop lengths would be modest, and there’s mains available at every stop-off landing point.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 09:49:08 AM »

I think they should ask you Blacksheep to be guest of honour at the big turn on.

Ha ha , thanks for the thought mate, but I think that particular accolade should go to Weaver ..... he's nearer than me and speaks their language.  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 03:45:21 PM »

Just to clarify. Gaelic has never been spoken in Orkney or Shetland, apart from the odd stray Irish Monk. Everyone in Orkney and Shetland speaks a very distinctive dialect of Norse-influenced Scots now. So my Gaelic isn’t any use there.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 03:46:30 PM »

Is there a time table for the Highlands and Inner Hebrides now?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 05:42:45 PM »

I've personally not seen one yet, mate.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 09:39:18 PM »

I have some dim recollection of either 2025 or 2026 being mentioned but as a completion date for what I’m not sure. Or maybe that was the beginning of the end.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 11:01:59 AM »

There’s an interesting sentence in that ispreview article: "The LOT 1 contract is expected to complete by 2027". So that means I only have to wait another five years or so to get proper FTTP internet. That date is a couple of years later than I expected, so maybe the project is slipping, or maybe it’s just due to differing authors’ opinions. I had thought to myself ‘by the end of 2025’ which probably would mean 2026.
Pages: [1] 2

anything