Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Potential electricity savings of running a 1 box setup?  (Read 3028 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Potential electricity savings of running a 1 box setup?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 04:06:49 PM »

I think you CH "wireless stat" may not be a "smart stat" as such.

No its definitely not, its just a dumb stat that happens to be wireless.  It a council property after all, only the basics.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 07:16:20 PM »

I use a Honeywell Evohome Smart system with motorised valves on all rad's. The system can heat just one room in the house if required, so only filling one rad not all of them!!
The system can control the boiler output to heat just enough water to fill one rad then switch off.
To get this working you need a "Open Therm" compatible boiler (Mines an ATAG ic27) and the wireless bridge interface to control boiler.
All (most!) rad's can be retro fitted with the Wireless controllers.
https://heatingcontrols.honeywellhome.com/products/Connected-Smart-Products/evohome-connected-thermostat/evohome-Main/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:18:40 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 08:31:29 PM »

Linked to the original question, I would be interested if modems/routers have become more energy efficient over time and if so by roughly how much.

Whether this is (for example) the various bundled ISP modems per generation or the Samknows boxes for those who have them..

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 08:50:33 PM »

Linked to the original question, I would be interested if modems/routers have become more energy efficient over time and if so by roughly how much.

Whether this is (for example) the various bundled ISP modems per generation or the Samknows boxes for those who have them..

They inherit all the benefits mobile phones have given they're designed on similar technology.  Except broadband and WiFi speeds have also gone up too so it kinda cancels itself out.  So technically yes, lots more efficient (if you were comparing like for like speeds and WiFi radios) but it depends what you're using on them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 08:53:48 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 02:27:53 PM »

I use a Honeywell Evohome Smart system with motorised valves on all rad's. The system can heat just one room in the house if required, so only filling one rad not all of them!!
The system can control the boiler output to heat just enough water to fill one rad then switch off.
To get this working you need a "Open Therm" compatible boiler (Mines an ATAG ic27) and the wireless bridge interface to control boiler.
All (most!) rad's can be retro fitted with the Wireless controllers.
https://heatingcontrols.honeywellhome.com/products/Connected-Smart-Products/evohome-connected-thermostat/evohome-Main/

Thanks for the information, very interesting, although other similar systems are available, Honeywell Evohome would appear to be the "Rolls Royce" option, certainly not cheap.
My TRV's are mostly quite old Danfoss RAV 26mm series and suitable adaptor selection is quite complex if indeed possible, might be easier to completely replace the TRV bodies.
Would certainly be over £1000 to fully upgrade my CH/HW system but certainly a lot easier and very likely less costly than trying to modify existing pipe work to fit zone MOV's.

I like the feature where an additional room stat can be utilised to override the radiator TRV, would think that would give better area temperature control and stop the radiator "chasing it's tail" with temperature cycling and not accurately reflecting the actual room temperature.
Of course this addition would certainly add to overall cost.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 03:03:13 PM »

I appear to have got lucky with my Smart-meter, installed by Igloo before they went out of business, as I got one of these - https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customers?variant=31079504248910
It allows me to see a minute by minute breakdown of consumption on my phone. There is also an API available that allows you to download the data but I've not tried it.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 03:51:24 PM »

I'm confused how that was metered though, my friend has solar and there is just one meter that measures (presumably) what is coming out of the inverter.  So how does it measure exported separately?

A FITS system will have a production meter, this is between the consumer unit and solar inverter, this measures exactly how much the solar produces regardless of what you use.

On a SEG system I suspect they just use a smart meter, my smart meter can measure how much I export, but currently they don't use this reading for my system, as I'm on the old FITS tariff so we the production meter.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]