Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wordle  (Read 1717 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Wordle
« on: May 09, 2022, 10:21:59 PM »

Anyone else here getting seriously fed up with NYT and Wordle. It's supposed to be English but it's not it's American.  :rant: Color is not correct it's colour and as for todays changed word it's not fetus it actually foetus.  :rant: It really gets my goat that they pinch our language and then change it but will not call it American! Maybe someone can write a game which uses English spelling so we get a chance!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Wordle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:59:53 PM »

It was made by a guy who lives in America and it's literally owned by the New York Times.
I wouldn't expect them to use anything other than American English.
Frustrating yes, but expected.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 10:42:23 AM »

My point exactly it is NOT fetus it IS FOETUS....

Stuart

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 10:44:22 AM »

Particular "Americanism" hate on u-tube videos.
Solder, as per normally accepted English/American spelling but pronounced "sodder"
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 11:10:58 AM »

Particular "Americanism" hate on u-tube videos.
Solder, as per normally accepted English/American spelling but pronounced "sodder"

There are loads of words mispronounced by our American cousins, also loads of English slang which can get you in trouble. One I learned many years ago prior to my first business trip to the US was do not talk about cigarettes as fags, it had a completely different meaning over there then which in recent years has changed here as well!

Also I was in Germany on a course for my company some years ago when we were given a leaflet which said 'The is to facilitate your orientation in the town of Mainz' and two Norwegian guys turned to me and said ' what does this mean - it is English yes' and my reply was 'No it's American!' I worked for a US company!

Two countries separated by a common language could not be  more accurate!

Stuart

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 02:24:30 PM »

One word that really gets me half annoyed half laughing is when Americans pronounce a 4 letter word beginning and ending in T.

I'll type the American pronounciation as it sounds nothing like the actual word they are reading. They pronounce it as twot.

It's annoying because they are trying to mimic a British word yet seem to pronounce it wrongly. It makes me wonder how they spell it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 03:44:47 PM »

It makes me wonder how they spell it.

Having worked for American companies in the petro-chemical industry all of my working life I very, very rarely encountered any American who could spell to any recognisable "English language" level, perhaps I just mixed with the wrong people! 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2