Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FTTP Install Query  (Read 2818 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
FTTP Install Query
« on: May 08, 2022, 08:43:08 AM »

I have asked zen to cease the copper line when my fttp is installed. Will it be removed from the house at the same time or can I ask for it to be removed? The nte has been in the worst place so I am hoping the engineer will install the new ont to the location of my choice.
We are fed from underground duct and the dp chamber is one door down.

Thanks

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: FTTP Install Query
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 09:15:49 AM »

Mine were ceased but nothing was removed. I think that’s the norm.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 09:34:29 AM »

I moved to FTTP in March but opted to retain my land line, going digital voice.
The LL number digital voice migration did take place on the day about an hour after the BB FTTP was activated and the FTTC BB went off.

Funny enough, I still have an old analogue phone connected to the copper LL and to this day, some 7 weeks later it still has a dial tone!
Checking with 17070 advises of a circuit number, not my original LL number, which by sequence is on my local exchange, unable to dial out and ringing this number gives unobtainable tone!

So to answer your question, no, the copper LL, certainly in my area is not physically disconnected/removed, my POTS is/was UG DIG supply.

My rather long recent FTTP migration saga is here which you may find informative.
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26792.msg449417.html#msg449417

Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 10:25:20 AM »

I have asked zen to cease the copper line when my fttp is installed. Will it be removed from the house at the same time or can I ask for it to be removed? The nte has been in the worst place so I am hoping the engineer will install the new ont to the location of my choice.
We are fed from underground duct and the dp chamber is one door down.

Thanks

The ONT can be sited where it suits you - within reason. My installation has external cabling from the ug duct which then enters the house at the location I choose.

The copper cabling was left untouched.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 10:58:43 AM »

I should have said my experience was similar the engineer asked where I wanted it and was really helpful in doing a very neat job.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 11:20:33 AM »

I had a similar experience where my stuff fed overhead was installed where I wanted. My copper was removed as I was asked if I wanted it yo remain but said no.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 11:30:08 AM »

The general rule for ONT location is anywhere reasonable that you choose as long as it is within 10m of the fibre entry point. Some engineers will be flexible and install it a little further, most subcontractors won't.

There exists a chargeable advanced install trial that extends the 10m to 100m if what you want is well beyond 10m of the entry point.

The installation engineer will usually remove the copper circuit if you ask them to. If you don't ask them they usually leave it in place. You could be running other services over it or plan to in the future.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 12:37:55 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

I hope the engineer will be happy to run the cable from the duct round the side of the house and into the front of the garage where my  cabinet is. The hole is already present and it can't be much more than about 25 foot of cable at ground floor level from the point of the duct to the place where I would like it.....hope this will be ok 

I had to run cat 5e from the current nte to the garage some years ago  which looks awful and looking forward to removing that once the new ont is up and running as there was no other option due to the poor location of the nte..

Install booked on the 17th May. Will miss my munin/eci line stats so that's going to be hard to give up  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 12:45:04 PM »

There will be no problem with that kind of distance ... and having a pre-drilled hole is like somebody buying you a pint, to an engineer.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »

There will be no problem with that kind of distance ... and having a pre-drilled hole is like somebody buying you a pint, to an engineer.

;D the hole had  a piece of conduit through it originally so it's pretty large. What sort of diameter is required if you don't mind me asking...

Thanks

redanalog

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 01:03:04 PM »

having a pre-drilled hole is like somebody buying you a pint, to an engineer.

nahnahnah, that's a sunday dinner mate

What sort of diameter is required

Inch wide is grand, just make sure there are no hard 90 degree turns in it as that can kink the fibre during the pull which will either damage the cable, affecting your service, or completely break it which will add a few complications to say the least
FTTP & Copper Engineer

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 01:30:54 PM »

Ok thanks. Upon checking its about a 25mm hole.
I assume there will still be the csp box right at the front of the house where the duct comes up from the ground with the copper cable presently.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 03:24:16 PM »

I assume there will still be the csp box right at the front of the house where the duct comes up from the ground with the copper cable presently.

From what you have described, I will say "yes".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2022, 04:45:07 PM »

Cheers. Looking forward to finally being free from that pesky eci cab -you know the one I mean  ::)

So the cable from the csp to the garage-anyone clarify the diameter of the cable. Have made a gap under the step at the front so it can run neatly out of sight

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 05:50:55 PM »

Cheers. Looking forward to finally being free from that pesky eci cab -you know the one I mean  ::)

Yes, indeed.

So the cable from the csp to the garage-anyone clarify the diameter of the cable. Have made a gap under the step at the front so it can run neatly out of sight

I have a vague memory of reading that the "EZ BEND" cable having a 5mm diameter outer sheath. Perhaps other forum members will be able to confirm, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3