Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FTTP Install Query  (Read 2834 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: FTTP Install Query - update
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 12:18:03 PM »

Well I am pleased to report openreach have been and installed my fttp in the location I wanted so that was brilliant, its now in the garage along with all my kit. The only issue was the there was no light at the cbt initially but that was quickly resolved.

I have my router going through one 16 port switch. This is my initial speed tests from a wired pc located elsewhere in the house so any comments appreciated

I do have one issue to think about and could do with some advice please.

My office is on a single cat5e run from the main switch. With the pc connected directly to the socket the download speeds are where they should be but if I use my 8 port switch as I have a number of devices in there on lan connections the speeds drop to around half of the direct connection. Would it help to upgrade the office switch to a better model as its a cheap 8 port? The main switch is a good quality 16 port model.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 12:24:37 PM by skyeci »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP Install Query
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 12:40:39 PM »

That's not right, even a cheap switch should have zero impact on the speed.  Have you tried different ports on the switch to see if one has become defective?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 12:47:04 PM »

Hi Alex

I haven't tried that but I will try this out later and see if I can improve things. It drops back to about 450 through the cheap 8 port (i9 pc etc)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTP Install Query - update
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2022, 02:58:06 PM »

My office is on a single cat5e run from the main switch. With the pc connected directly to the socket the download speeds are where they should be but if I use my 8 port switch as I have a number of devices in there on lan connections the speeds drop to around half of the direct connection. Would it help to upgrade the office switch to a better model as its a cheap 8 port?

That's a bit odd. A temporary substitution, for testing purposes, might be worthwhile.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2022, 04:04:44 PM »

Have done a number of tests...

At my opnsense router it's about 922/110
Main switch about the same
ground floor switch (8 port cheapy) seems ok generally. I did see a couple of dips on the tbbx1 element down to 600. Multi tests always over 900
The top floor segment seems about the same with an occasional dip when running a speed test on the tbbx1 element(tbb speed tester). I am not seeing any loss of speed on either 8 port switches om mutli thread tests, over 900

Any thoughts on why the tbbx1 speed tests would fall back - is this a bit of congestion perhaps?...

Just curious to understand.

I dont think  I have any issues on my lan as the multi tests seem very quick. Ookla always reporting over 900 on their test across any hard wired device/switch etc

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 04:11:47 PM by skyeci »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »

Should perhaps also swap out cable for elimination purposes. Do buy very highly rated over-the-top cable as the small price premium is worth it not to have any hassles. Is any ethernet cable by any chance running parallel to any mains?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 10:01:33 AM by Weaver »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2022, 06:26:27 AM »

Hi Weaver.

Been away trying a couple of different things purely out of interest. I will never use all the speed fttp is throwing at me , my son might though  ;D

Anyway I tried replacing a section of cat5e structured cabling with cat6  between my main switch and asus wifi point (non wifi 6) as this required no ladders or new hole drilling. I would say its about a 20m run. I also replaced the section that goes from my qotom to the main switch with cat6. New cat6 patch leads fitted. My phone (s10) was maxing out at around 450/110 using the speedtest app on 5e.Since doing the changes the phone reports around 600/110 consistently. Tbb single thread speed test element has also improved. Worth noting the asus wifi point passes through one of the cheapy 8 port switches.

Spurred on by this I decided to replace all my hardwired 5e lines with cat6 which I have been doing  recently and installed a cat6 patch panel. Cat6 is so much thicker than 5e. Had some fun trying not to bend it too much as most of my lines run externally.

My i9 pc definitely gets a better ping time and better tbb speed test results than the 5e. I left the 5e in place to this machine just for testing as its on the furthest point of my network.

I'm pleased with the results so it was definetly worth the effort. Probably overkill but I just wanted to see if I could improve the results. Bad 5e or my wiring of it who knows but fitting the cat6 seems to have done the trick for now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 06:49:01 AM by skyeci »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2022, 07:02:52 AM »

I assume you used external rated CAT6?  Would be annoying to have to replace it again if weather destroys it.

Definitely an odd one on latency though, I wouldn't expect even bad cable to have a measurable difference.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2022, 07:32:11 AM »

Yup. Good quality external for sure. It doesn't like bending one bit  :D

Loving the speed and no issues with Zen so far. Hardly  spoke to them on vdsl so hopefully fttp will be the same
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 07:46:46 AM by skyeci »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything