Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How does FTTP in pole'd areas become networked?  (Read 7477 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: How does FTTP in pole'd areas become networked?
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2022, 07:27:58 PM »

I'm no expert on poling these days, but I think the pictures you've posted are items linked to the actual testing of poles ?.

FTTP would usually be presented through duct (existing or new) and that isn't duct on the poles. The 'tell' is also the duct would have blue-rope pulled through it, ready to attach the new FTTP cables to them.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2022, 08:05:49 PM »

No clue mate on the main road they’ve done about 2 of them so far this week fibre left coiled at top no CBT and they both seem to have been done through another duct as they have a 2nd metal guard thingie.

I will probably get a better look when they do something to my pole.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2022, 08:07:26 PM »

What makes you think that? Is it possible the references are to the SIP instead?

I looked through the logs just now. I think its this line that must have caught my eye;

17:29:03, 26 May. SIP Registration - success

There seems to be an entry of that every so often. So I think you're right. That its a generic entry to SIP (generic meaning its not referencing the sipgate company).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ragnarok

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2022, 08:53:42 PM »

Recently had BT open reach running a new cable between all the the poles on my road about 2 weeks ago, even though all these poles have ducts to them. We have had history with these ducts and underground connections getting waterlogged. About 3-4 years ago they had to replace the underground cable to 2 of the poles. and a year before that had to pump water out of the underground junction boxes and redo every connection on the street.

I can't tell for sure if it's a fibre cable but is has a thin yellow stripe, along it and if it wasn't hanging down  in coils I wouldn't know that yellow stripe was on it. and it looks identical to the cable entering FTTP properties on a nearby industrial estate. Same thing is happened to a few other poles on nearby streets.

It'll be welcome if it is Fibre on the nearby horizon as nearly 10 years ago I was Enjoying 80/20 now even with the fully repaired line it's more like 50/15 with all the crosstalk.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2022, 04:18:00 AM »

Thin yellow stripe = fibre.

I was very lucky when my drop wire being replaced got me back to 80/20, but back before Openreach when I was on Digital Region I was on 100/30, so it still feels kinda surreal to have been on a downgrade for so long.

Of course I'm hardly in a bad position now, thanks to 5G which is another level of surreal, but its far too unreliable to use on a day to day basis so very much looking forward to FTTP.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 04:20:19 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2022, 07:23:24 AM »

"Thin yellow stripe = fibre."

Oh, I will have to look out for that, I am fed by poles, so not really expecting any upgrade soon.  Although, full FTTP has been up the end of our road for a few years to business's.

zpeterk

• Just arrived
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »

Yes. Any time the database is changed the FTTPoD speed updates to 1000/220.
This usually happens just prior to FTTP going live.

Mine updated months ago but there has been no install activity in the area at all.

Ragnarok

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2022, 04:50:22 PM »

I just Thought I'd snap of a picture of a coil hanging down. https://imgur.com/a/pXNx8up.  Also a lower quality version attached

The Coils are hanging down because they haven't got anywhere putting the connectorised block terminals (CBT) yet. I wouln't know these had a yellow stripe without the CBT then the CBT would be the give away. I hope they do get a move on but you know how long these things can take sometimes.

Edit.

Just had a look on roadworks.org as BT estimate was 2026 here, turns out that Trooli have roadworks scheduled next week on the main road. I think this is  work being done on Trooli's behalf.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 05:09:28 PM by Ragnarok »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2022, 05:25:40 PM »

I just Thought I'd snap of a picture of a coil hanging down. https://imgur.com/a/pXNx8up.

Having downloaded a copy of that image, rotated it anticlockwise by 90 degrees and viewed it in full-screen mode, I read the markings as --

STERLITE
G657A1 AERIAL TROOLI LTD

The ITU-T recommendation G.657 is titled "Characteristics of a Bending-Loss Insensitive Single-Mode Optical Fibre and Cable".

Reading that recommendation I see that --

Subcategory ITU-T G.657.A1 fibres are appropriate for a minimum design [bend] radius of 10 mm.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 05:47:00 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2022, 06:03:58 PM »

It looks fairly thick, can't see bending that at 10mm, or is it referring to the individual fibres?

Mine updated months ago but there has been no install activity in the area at all.

Across the road from me was fibred up a while back now.  The BT address checker went from FTTPoD 330 to FTTP 330 and now FTTP has completely vanished entirely.

My side of the road still needs doing and still says FTTPoD, which seems kinda silly as no FTTPoD order is going to be accepted.  You'd think they would remove mention of it as soon as the area is in the plan of works for FTTP to avoid confusion but database updates seem to be some form of black magic.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 06:10:10 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2022, 06:20:47 PM »

It looks fairly thick, can't see bending that at 10mm, or is it referring to the individual fibres?

Agreed. I presume the minimum bend radius refers to the individual fibres. (The ITU-T G.657.A2 category specifies a minimum design [bend] radius of 7.5 mm.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ragnarok

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2022, 06:45:54 PM »

I'd completely missed that marking "TROOLI LTD"

So that backs up Roadworks.org it's Trooli setting up this FTTP, not Openreach.

Interesting for the other members on here too I suspect.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]