Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: wondering if someone could help  (Read 9776 times)

archie123

• Team Mashed
wondering if someone could help
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:20:58 PM »

hello   ;D

Im new to all this so please be gentle ;) i have first searched your forums and have found some advice but some of it was a tad too technical.

ok im using a netgear router dg834g v3 but im having a few issues

all seems fine during the day however at night my connection gradually gets worse and worse , it never becomes unusable but it gets very "lumpy"

ive been using a program called Routerstats to monitor the noise margin on my line , currently its looking like this.......

ADSL Link..........................................Downstream................................Upstream
Connection Speed..............................3744 kbps..................................448 kbps
Line Attenuation...................................57 db...........................................15 db
Noise Margin...........................................9 db..........................................21 db

however on a regular basis it will drop to 6 db then back up again , last night it was some ridiculously high number 2147483647 db !!!!!!!!!!!!

after doing some research i see that anything electrical can affect it such as central heating pumps switching etc , this ill have to live with , but what about that huge number 2147483647?? whats all that about?? it happens everynight about 8pm??

so first of all looking at the router stats ive posted with the 9 db noise margin , is this ok? my connection is like this most of the day , it only screws up at night , but then obviously the telly is on and the heating etc so when it drops to 6 or 7 is this ok?

ive seen a way to connect my filter into the BT test socket , i beleive this is common practice and im doing it on Saturday , would using a better quality cable between the socket and the router help ? something thats perhaps double shielded? ( my current cable length is about 3 foot im assuming thats ok)

thanks for any help

Darren
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:24:11 PM by archie123 »

archie123

• Team Mashed
Re: wondering if someone could help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:35:36 PM »

good grief now its down to 1 db  ???

edit......would this help?  http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:55:38 PM by archie123 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 08:36:51 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum

57db is quite a long line, so a sync speed of 3744 aint too bad.

Its very common for SNR Margin to drop in the evening - its the way it works Im afraid.
More people at home using their connection, more likely hood of "noise" from electrical equipment etc.

>> high number 2147483647

The means that you actually went into negative figures.. The netgear is one of the few routers that seems to be able to cope with low SNR Lines without dropping the actual connection.
It cant report negative figures though and instead thats why you are seeing the strange numbers.
Some routers will loose the connection once the Margin starts to fall below 6dB.

All lines SNR Margin will fluctuate. If your router is managing to hold on to the connection without loosing sync thats the main thing.

There are several things you can try to do to improve your SNRMargin as outlined here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
Fitting an adsl filtered NTE5 faceplate is one of the most recommended solutions.
You can check to see if this would help improve your line by using the test socket behind the master socket.
Yes you can use a filter to do this.. alternatively you could try substituting a 56K modem cable if you have one lying around.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 08:40:34 PM »

The link you gave was for extension sockets...
Is you router currently connected to the master socket? 

You cant replace the master socket only BT can do that, but you can install an adsl filtered faceplate if you have a NTE5 master socket.
You would be looking for something like this
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:02:25 PM »

thank you  ;D

im currently at -1 but still clinging to the net ;)

ill try the test socket tomorrow night

it is a long line im 3500 meters away from the exchange in a one horse village ;)

ill report back when ive tested the test socket

many thanks :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 09:35:09 PM »

>> im currently at -1 but still clinging to the net

Thats the main thing..  mr_chris on here has a netgear and his connection stayed up for something like 3 months whilst routinely swinging down to 0db and below.

--------

lol...thinking about it.
Im not too sure if you should mess with the line if youre happy with the speed (which does seem good for your line length) and if its not dropping out.

Fitting an adsl faceplate should be ok..  the "lumpiness" is possibly a bit a of slow down if you have some errors on the line which are having to be re-requested.
Choose the time of day you do this carefully (morning when SNR is likely to be at its best).
Dont resync if a neighbour is doing something like DIY and has hammerdrill going for eg

However take heed and dont mess too much - linky.

/hides from mr_chris.  :D :p

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:38:40 PM by kitz »
-----

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 09:22:31 AM »

its never dropped out when ive been on but thats mostly between 6 and 8 when the wife is watching soaps ;) im rarely on any later , i have noticed that somtimes when checking back later that my connection has gone down to something like 3428 , i dont know if thats a symptom of the modem dropping out and re connecting?

i only start fiddling around after expert advice ;)

however..........what about this   http://www.office365.co.uk/sf/show_product.aspx?Pid=725622   :hmm:

i realise the problem is probably on the 3500 meters of cable running to my house and trying to improve it by altering the last 2 meters seems a little futile , but im up for anything ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 10:15:19 AM »

>> has gone down to something like 3428 i dont know if thats a symptom of the modem dropping out and re connecting?

Yes it is Im afraid. :/

>> what about this..... 

iirc those are the ones that soms fitted and we were discussing in this thread if you want to have a read of it..  they did seem to help his line a bit. :)

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=121.msg2487#msg2487
-----

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 10:35:47 AM »

DOH!! so it is disconnecting  :'(

thanks for the link , i did a forum search and thats what i read to get the info on the cable in the first place ;)

anyhoo..........ive connected my filter directly to the test socket and so far have had no slowdowns regarding noise margin according to routerstats.

one thing i read about the test socket was it was done to eliminate any problems you might have with extensions causing noise. well i have no extensions , just the one incoming line downstairs , so is my good luck a fluke? im normally at work so  i cant tell whats happening during the day , however this morning before i used the test socket i had fluctuations down to 7 db

i did however notice that , when the heating kicks in.........8 db ........... when the tellys on............ 8 db , if were watching the upstairs telly using our wireless sky sender box thingy it really goes t!ts up  ???  cordless phone.........t!ts up , mobile phone chrger's even screw it up , in fact in order to get a good connection i have to turn off the mains to the house , run my pc off of batteries and stand the wife on the roof holding up a copper rod , oh and hold my breath....... 9db ;)

ive even found out that radio signals interfere more during the night , they dont interfere during the day because apperantly the SUN filters them out , BLOODY HELL!!!!  roll on summer ;)

i was better of with 512....at least it bloody worked  :P

as if im not bald enough already im pulling out whats remaning of my hair

thank you very much for your advice (keep it coming i aint finishd yet ;) )

ill be back when ive got that cable (yes ill try everything , i have the ladder ready for when she gets back from work and the copper rod is polished to a brilliant sheen ) ill let you know how i get on

Cheers ta  ;D  ;D

this is how good it can be , when the suns and the moon are in the correct phase and all is well in the world...............

;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:22:25 AM by archie123 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 11:55:58 AM »

>>> ive connected my filter directly to the test socket and so far have had no slowdowns regarding noise margin according to routerstats.

If your SNR Margin had increased when plugged into the test socket then an adsl faceplate would def have helped.  They normally help a lot of people maintain stability and help SNR Margin rather than the *normal* filters.  You probably have a good filter thats doing what it should.

Reminder about the cable - the one in the pic is RJ11 to phone - you will need RJ11 to RJ11 to ensure it plugs into the filter... or an adapter.

>>> run my pc off of batteries and stand the wife on the roof holding up a copper rod , oh and hold my breath....... 9db

:lol:

>>> i was better of with 512....at least it bloody worked 

Im sure your ISP would oblige if you ask nicely :P

>> ill let you know how i get on

Please do..  :)
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 01:30:42 PM »

In fact, with your attenuation level, if you really want to be put back onto a working 1Mb then that should be possible.

Ironically, 2Mb fixed might work perfectly for your particular line, but unfortunately BT would never allow it because their systems are so blinkered.

And yes Kitz... I saw the reference to my troubles there, so don't think you're getting away with that :P

I have now been synced solid for 3 and a half weeks at 7712kbps so I'm just gonna have to put up with the fact that I can't get the full 8Mb. I'm going to try some STP cable when I get the RJ11 connectors!
Chris

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 02:54:18 PM »

check this out.............im currently on 2db and downloading a test file at 336kb/s , it seems as long as my modem doesnt disconnect , which it never has while ive been on (thou obviously it has in the early hours) then all is fine and im gonna stop worrying about it...who am i trying to kid  ::) bloody interweb

look at the state of my noise margin..............

edit , moved image as my IP was on display...DOH ..........cheers tickmike ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 05:52:35 PM by archie123 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 06:39:27 PM »

2.5Mbish through put...  and those SNR stats dont look too unusual (who had the hoover going) lol.

For comparison have a look at the graph on the bottom right of the following page and you will see that variations are part of the norm.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/mymax.htm

As regards to your throughput speed - not sure if Ive mentioned this to you before but have you checked to see what your bRAS profile is?

You can get an indication by performing the test here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwperformancetest.htm

Be warned it gets very busy and mornings are best time to try it.
It will give you your IP profile which you can tie up with the information in the table at the bottom of the page here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

-----

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 07:33:06 PM »

i did that bt speedtest earlier , ive been trying for days this is the first time it worked , i got 2700ish close to 2800 if my memory serves me right , my highest has been 2950 but not on that site. would that make my bras profile 2500?  would i get more info from the bt test if i logged in (speedtest@speedtest thingy)?

we have the house running "full tilt" at the moment , heating , telly , sky video sender the lot and im getting 4db , much better than this time last night however i did re boot my modem and it re synced at 3552 , its been at 3700ish all day but me noise margin started to freak out (-1) , after a re boot it was back to 9...for a while.

god knows what effect the hoover will have ;)

its the im a celeb final tonight , i everyone down here will have their tellys on , that'll screw it all up ;)

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 11:21:07 PM »

ive been experimenting , if i get my router to sync at 3488 its very stable , is there any way i can stop it sync'ing any higher? Or if i just leave it on for ever more will it stay there? I understand it could go down but it wont go up will it?
Pages: [1] 2

anything