Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

Impact on VDSL signal

(1/1)

Edinburgh_lad:
Hello

Our VDSL signal is affected by something (SNR dropping from 10/11db to 3/5db) at times, but at the same while that thing is on (whatever it is), our 2.4GHz WiFi is affected, too, to the point of unusable. I think that because you can continue using a separate 5GHz network ok during this time. It's as if someone was using signal jammer or something like that.

I know video transmitters/senders (for sending signal to another TV) can affect 2.4GHz WiFi, but I've not found anything about their effects on VDSL signal.

(I don't know if it's relevant, but when I click on 'Show minimum and maximum on Spectrum in my Fritzbox, it's usually the 'upper' spectrum 11MHz to 17MHz that seems to be reduced to almost 'no signal' during such times. I don't know what can operate in that range).

Likewise, do signal jammers have an impact on VDSL quality, too?

The other thing is that my connection is mostly cleared at 0:57am (in some cases also 27 min past the hour). Do VDSL cabinets have a clock embedded in them to 'know' the time? Or indeed, it is some kind of equipment around here that has its clock set late by 3 minutes that results in noise on my line (plus the others connected to the same pole, as we now know it) and a disconnection.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

CHeers.

Edinburgh_lad:
Also, are there any methods of detecting video transmitters/senders and/or signal jammers?

Black Sheep:
Powerline adaptors can cause major problems on VDSL connections ....but you would expect it to be a constant issue, not intermittent.

Edinburgh_lad:
Cheers @Black Sheep.

Yes, you're absolutely right re powerlines. It also depends on the manufacturer with some more expensive ones performing better than cheaper ones. For example, I've found that the Devolo Magic 1 range and Fritzbox perform much better in terms of interference mitigation through the TR-064 protocol that both can use to cancel out interference (Devolo refer to it as VDSL Performer), as opposed to the Devolo dLAN 550/1200 range, which don't use this kind of protocol - see attached on no impact of powerline. However, when I tested Devolo Magic 2, I had a different experience, unless the plug that I was testing was faulty - whenever I unplugged it, the VDSL connection would drop, and whenever I plugged it in, there were a lot of errors appearing.

The other thing is frequencies affected - as in attached photo - which could be an amateur radio station. Do these have an impact on VDSL signal, too? (I know VDSL signal can affect amateur radio, but is it also the other way round?)

What I'm referring to, though, is those signal senders that can wirelessly send signal to another TV. I've never used them personally and only found out about them when I was looking into 2.4GHz interference: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PAT-225-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Extension/dp/B07QH652CJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version