Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP Rollout on estate in Newark  (Read 5189 times)

nick9one1

FTTP Rollout on estate in Newark
« on: May 06, 2022, 10:07:31 AM »

I live on a relatively small estate in Newark that was built around 2000.

Just recently, Openreach have been installing FTTP. Most of the estate can get FTTP, but unfortunately they seem to have completely missed my road (Blackbrook Road).

I contacted openreach and it sounds like they have given a pretty generic response

We don't have any plans to upgrade your area right now with FTTP(Fibre to the premises), but we can keep you up to date when things change. To receive any future updates please go to our fibre checker, input your postcode, chose your address from the drop down, then scroll past the availability information and complete the Gigabit Fibre form and we’ll update you once plans change. www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband.

As you've mentioned in you enquiry that your neighbours on other street are getting FTTP. I've had a look and can see that those neighbours must be connected to different DP(distribution point)/ PCP(Cabinet) & other infrastructure and we are sorry to inform that due to the engineering reason you will not be able to get Fibre to the property from the existing infrastructure.

I'm not sure why they mentioned the PCP as from what I understand this isn't used for FTTP.
As far as I can tell the whole estate is on the same PCP cabinet, so I cant see why the FTTP infrastructure would be any different (all connected to the same fibre node?).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP Rollout on estate in Newark
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 10:17:50 AM »

Could they have used all the spare fibres back to the exchange from the local aggregation point?  Seems unlikely, not sure how much spare they have though.  If that was the case the question would be why they specifically chose THOSE roads to do?

Are they perhaps the furthest from the PCP so they did this to meet minimum speed requirements?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 11:15:52 AM »

Your local area is being FTTP'd under the 'Retro New Sites' (RNS) programme. A number of addresses on Blackbrook Rd have been captured under one of the FTTP surveys, but also a small cluster of them haven't, (the lower numbers, ie: No.1, 2, 3 etc).

I can only guess at this point, but it may be that there is no 'hook up' from the underground duct from the premises that have been surveyed, and your own duct on the premises that haven't been ?? There obviously is a duct path back in one direction or another, as you have copper cable already in place and all the ducts for this small area aggregate back at Beacon Hill Rd.

Like you say, absolutely nothing at all to do with the Cabinet, and I would humbly suggest this has been a simple oversight. I would certainly progress this again, as it should in theory be a quick-win for all parties as capacity isn't the issue. 

nick9one1

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 05:09:24 PM »

Could they have used all the spare fibres back to the exchange from the local aggregation point?  Seems unlikely, not sure how much spare they have though.  If that was the case the question would be why they specifically chose THOSE roads to do?

Are they perhaps the furthest from the PCP so they did this to meet minimum speed requirements?

thats an interesting point. Although Blackbrook road is probably the furthest from the PCP. I get around 30Mbps on VDSL2

nick9one1

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 05:16:09 PM »

Your local area is being FTTP'd under the 'Retro New Sites' (RNS) programme. A number of addresses on Blackbrook Rd have been captured under one of the FTTP surveys, but also a small cluster of them haven't, (the lower numbers, ie: No.1, 2, 3 etc).

I can only guess at this point, but it may be that there is no 'hook up' from the underground duct from the premises that have been surveyed, and your own duct on the premises that haven't been ?? There obviously is a duct path back in one direction or another, as you have copper cable already in place and all the ducts for this small area aggregate back at Beacon Hill Rd.

Like you say, absolutely nothing at all to do with the Cabinet, and I would humbly suggest this has been a simple oversight. I would certainly progress this again, as it should in theory be a quick-win for all parties as capacity isn't the issue. 

Thanks for the information. Is there a publicly accessible source for the RNS FTTP surveys?

It seems strange that the lower numbers weren't captured, as they are are the beginning of the road. Closest the the properties that do have FTTP.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 07:12:18 PM »

Thanks for the information. Is there a publicly accessible source for the RNS FTTP surveys?

There isn't.
The availability checker is as public as their plans go.

All the RNS work around my area (including my own) has covered every property on the development.
There's usually a specific/good reason for being missed out.
Possibly a capacity issue, the local duct work or an issue that's taking those properties above their budget.

Might be worth going through the CEO team to ask why you've been missed. They often give the exact reason for a decision and occasionally amend plans to include the missing properties.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 07:17:09 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

nick9one1

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 11:35:00 PM »

Thanks again  :)

How do I make contact with the CEO team?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 02:15:45 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

nick9one1

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 08:35:17 PM »

Thanks.

I started checking each house on my road the openreach website.

It says fttp is available for our next door neighbor!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 03:50:53 AM »

Make sure that's not FTTPoD or if it says WBC FTTP that it actually says Available, I made that mistake when checking neighbours.

One area had the fibre laid months ago, says WBC FTTP but doesn't say Available so any order would just be stuck in a pre-order state.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

nick9one1

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 08:20:07 PM »

Make sure that's not FTTPoD or if it says WBC FTTP that it actually says Available, I made that mistake when checking neighbours.

One area had the fibre laid months ago, says WBC FTTP but doesn't say Available so any order would just be stuck in a pre-order state.

Thanks.
the open reach website says this..

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 11:04:10 PM »

The Openreach website makes no mention of FTTPoD so don't worry about that.
I think Alex may have assumed you meant another online checker (the BT Wholesale checker).

You have FTTP available. It's as simple as that.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 07:34:46 AM »

Me?  Get Openreach and BTW mixed up?  ::)

Seems I'm on a roll with that.

nick9one1

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 10:28:25 AM »

The Openreach website makes no mention of FTTPoD so don't worry about that.
I think Alex may have assumed you meant another online checker (the BT Wholesale checker).

You have FTTP available. It's as simple as that.

Thanks for explaining that.

The Openreach checker was for one of my neighbours.
My road has about 40 houses the openreach checker shows FTTP is available for only 2 houses - 17 and 11

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »

Do you know about this checker.
Remember it's WBC FTTP Not FTTPoD.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: [1] 2