Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Interfacing Firebrick to MikroTik RB SXT LTE 4G device

<< < (2/15) > >>

Weaver:
I’ve now set the Tik up physically but have just realised I don’t have a SIM that fits. The socket looks much larger than that for any of the microSIMs that I have so I can’t just steal a SIM out of something. I’ve ordered a SIM from AA that comes with one real static global IPv4.

I ran the iOS app hoping that it might do something without any SIM installed, but I didn’t get anywhere. It mentioned some random IPv4 address 192.168.88.1 which I suppose I could use temporarily. I’m confused that it’s not just finding the Tik by MAC address as mentioned earlier (is that right?), or using my DHCPv4 server to get an IPv4 address.

What should I be doing - setting my iPad to something in 192.168.88.*/24 temporarily or trying again when I have a SIM, or getting find-by-MAC to work?

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Weaver on June 02, 2022, 06:53:07 PM ---I ran the iOS app hoping that it might do something without any SIM installed, but I didn’t get anywhere. It mentioned some random IPv4 address 192.168.88.1 which I suppose I could use temporarily.

--- End quote ---

I believe the IPv4 address 192.168.88.1 is that of the SXT itself . . .

Weaver:
Agreed.  Sorry, I didn’t mean to use that specific address for my iPad, but rather to use an address in that /24 as my iPad, as normal. I don’t understand the choice of address - can I just overwrite that with something of my choosing? - something in my existing /24 which would not then need to be very very short-term. I have no idea about choice of addresses longer term.

Is that address supposed to be an admin UI IPv4 address long term? Or is it just used very short term and then discarded?

The instructions that I read don’t make much sense if they are aimed at users who don’t have the experience to set up routing from whatever LAN IPv4 range they’re currently using to 192.168.88.1.

I was assuming that as far as routing (not admin UI) goes, I would want to get an additional single additional IPv4 address maybe, I’ll have to check what I did before.

meritez:
Hi Weaver, it takes a standard mini SIM.

Looking at the mikrotik iOS app compared to the android app, it looks like something has changed in iOS to prevent connection via mac address.

The 192.168.88.1 address is designed as access for quick setup, connect to it, change IP to something else, save and apply,

burakkucat:
For the very first test you do not need to establish an IP connection with the SXT. Just --

* Insert the SIM card.
* Connect an Ethernet cable to the SXT.
* Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the power injector and energise the SXT.
* Slowly pan the SXT in the general direction of the cell tower whilst watching the LEDs on the SXT.If you get a three LED response then you will know that there is good signal strength through the window pane. In that case, commission "Duncan McBeth" to manufacture an appropriate bracket to mount the SXT with a view through the window. (You would obviously need to obtain clearance from "Senior Management" for such an addition to be made in the office.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version