Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can VOIP calls also go to your mobile simultaneously?  (Read 2982 times)

AnthonyG

Can VOIP calls also go to your mobile simultaneously?
« on: May 05, 2022, 01:19:16 PM »

This might be beyond the realms of possibility. But it just seems like it could be do-able due to the technology.

But I am soon going to be going to VOIP for my landline, using Sipgate. I was wanting to know. Is there anyway that when someone telephones the landline. If the call can also automatically go to a mobile phone too. This means if I am not in the house I will still get the call and not miss it.

I would presume a simple VOIP android app might allow you to do that?

EC300

Re: Can VOIP calls also go to your mobile simultaneously?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 03:44:45 PM »

This might be beyond the realms of possibility. But it just seems like it could be do-able due to the technology.

But I am soon going to be going to VOIP for my landline, using Sipgate. I was wanting to know. Is there anyway that when someone telephones the landline. If the call can also automatically go to a mobile phone too. This means if I am not in the house I will still get the call and not miss it.

I would presume a simple VOIP android app might allow you to do that?

Two options I think.  If you have a VoIP app on your mobile, then it will ring at the same time as any other phones you have logged in.

Another option is you can set up forwarding, so if un-answered it will then forward the call to your mobile, although you will pay the normal rate for making a call then to cover the cost of them forwarding the call onto you.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 04:16:16 PM »

Perfectly feasible. I use Acrobits Softphone on my iPhone and it works perfectly with my Sipgate account. Works over WiFi or a mobile data connection. I'm using the free version as my usage is infrequent, but I think there is a paid version if you need more features etc.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 12:41:44 AM »

I do this with my Andrews and Arnold VOIP service. It redirects to my wife’s mobile phone. Controllable in the AA website.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 09:37:09 AM »

https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/tour

Bottom of the page:

Can I use sipgate with more than one phone?

Yes! With your free sipgate basic phone number you can be reached on more than one phone at the same time.

When your sipgate phone number is called, all of your connected phones will ring in parallel.

After answering or making a call, your remaining phones can be used to simultaneously make and receive further calls.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 09:55:57 AM »

And as if to prove a point about reliability, my landland has died.

I guess Openreach have broken the E-side while laying fibre somewhere or something.  No wonder the VDSL has been so stable. ;)

Is it bad I'm more upset at losing my looong sync time (to make sure its not the filter) than I am having no landline?

There is one interesting development, the N300-IP has both completely failed to failover to the 4G or 5G WAN, plus its failed re-register now the DSL is back online.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 10:21:53 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tonygibbs16

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 11:56:16 AM »

I use Grandstream Wave app on Android with my Sipgate Basic account.

It rings on my mobile, as an over the top VoIP call, at the same time as a my phone connected via my router.

Kind regards,
      Tony

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 04:06:02 PM »

It's perfectly possible but the capability needs to be build into the platform that normally handles the inbound call.  The feature was traditionally known as "Single Number Reach" or SNR so searching for that may find more info.  However Cisco calls it "Mobility" and Webex "Simultaneous Ring" so no guarantees.

In each case it allows you to configure additional destinations, with rules as to when they should ring, for example it may ring the normal phone briefly before ringing the mobile, so not truly simultaneous. Bear in mind the call to mobile is an outbound call at your cost, it's not actually re-routing the original call.  And depending on the technology at each stage you may or may not see the original calling number (most do nowadays).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 11:57:35 PM »

I use Grandstream Wave app on Android with my Sipgate Basic account.

Noticed any battery life issues?  I originally got my sipgate accounts to use on my mobile but found it has a dramatic impact on my battery life, and the SIP apps I tried seemed to suck.

Was really annoyed as I never knew Android had native SIP support until they had removed it, most vendors hid it from the UI.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tonygibbs16

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 12:33:53 PM »

Hi Alex,

No battery life issues seen for me with Grandstream Wave client on my Moto G 5G Android 11 phone with Sipgate Basic.

I use Grandstream Wave because it is one of the SIP apps that Sipgate give instructions for at https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/categories/200656382-Setting-Up-VoIP-Phones-Devices

I charge my phone regularly, so maybe I haven't noticed.

Kind regards,
      Tony

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 12:36:50 PM by tonygibbs16 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 07:22:06 PM »

I haven't tried it in a while but I have a vague memory that it halved my battery life.

Would be more obvious right now as I get about 2 days out of a charge due to not going anywhere since Covid.

EC300

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 02:46:03 PM »

Newer devices are usually able to register a keep alive task with the modem directly, this allows the device to go into deep sleep like normal, whilst the modem (which is always on anyway) handles pinging the SIP end point to keep the connection alive.  I think with Qualcomm chips and supporting software several SIP tasks are handed off to the modem, this is required now to support VoLTE and VoWiFi.

If for some reason the keep alive task can't be handed off to the modem (they will only handle so many apps handing off these sorts of tasks, or it might not be supported by the SoC of the device, or the software doesn't do it) it means the main CPU remains powered-up, or is made to keep waking up, and that immediately hits battery life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 10:45:07 PM »

I'm mostly on WiFi, its likely a similar situation though as my current phone is WiFi6 so should support low power modes.

anything