Broadband Related > ISPs

Openreach FTTP and PPPoE

(1/3) > >>

NEXUS2345:
I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of ISPs on the Openreach FTTP network that do not make use of PPPoE for authentication to their networks. PPPoE does introduce some overhead and I was curious if any ISPs were making an effort to remove this from their networks to potentially reduce complexity and/or increase speeds for end users.

craigski:
The PPPoE 'overhead' is negligible, maybe 1%, I doubt you would notice it.

j0hn:
Only Talktalk residential and Sky (including Sky's sibling Now Broadband) do not use PPPoE over Openreach FTTC/P.

Providers have pretty much no option to ditch PPP.
The 2 main backhaul carriers, BT Wholesale & Talktalk Business, give no other option to authenticate customers.

The only reason Talktalk and Sky can do it is they run their own backhaul.
Even Talktalk Business customers use PPPoE.

The overhead in bytes on PPPoE is tiny. 8 bytes per 1500 MTU.
The processing overhead on routers is negligible on modern hardware. On older hardware it was an issue at Ultrafast speeds but even gigabit speeds over PPP shouldn't give a modern router any issues at all.

tl;dr PPPoE isn't the issue is used to be. It's almost impossible to avoid over Openreach.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: j0hn on April 28, 2022, 07:20:09 PM ---The processing overhead on routers is negligible on modern hardware. On older hardware it was an issue at Ultrafast speeds but even gigabit speeds over PPP shouldn't give a modern router any issues at all.

--- End quote ---

Unless you have the abysmal single-threaded FreeBSD PPP implementation or an older router. :(

Chrysalis:
What do you mean by modern hardware J0hn?

I suppose if you discount 3rd party opensource solutions it might be negligible, but I have seen reports where a CPU can handle 6 gbit/sec without PPPoE, and collapses to under 600mbit/sec (tenth of speed) with PPPoE, and the CPU isnt some obsolete 10 year old atom CPU.

I think one of the issues is as Alex said with getting it to multithread in opensource drivers, not sure if there is anything else on top of that as the cause?

Does talk talk residential over cityfibre use PPPoE?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version