Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Testing the connection speed on a new install  (Read 1034 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Testing the connection speed on a new install
« on: April 21, 2022, 04:49:56 PM »

I've put this in this section as it can apply to both FTTC and FTTP installations.

I noticed that some of the installation pages suggest getting a device so when the connection is setup it can be demonstrated by the engineer.

Do people actually do this? I've never seen any posts writing about a new install mention this part. I'm wondering if it happens, and if it does, what do you use?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Testing the connection speed on a new install
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 05:10:35 PM »

Well it doesn't really apply to FTTC given its self-install.  But I've never heard of anyone doing it for FTTP either.

It shouldn't really be necessary, as if the light levels are correct, if its not performing to spec its more likely down to the ISP to look into.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 06:54:07 PM »

I'm not quite sure what they mean by device and what the engineer is supposed to demonstrate.

Is the modem not a device.  If you get a decent modem/router then that should have some form of line stats to demonstrate the sync speed of the line. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »

Hi

I think it means the OR laptop connected to ONT to demonstrate the speed but some use their mobile phone  connected to wifi if router is powered on and working

On some clients install there were problems with wrong fibre port labelling and no connection possible until fibre ports were corrected

Many thanks

John

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 01:11:02 AM »

May also be tricky for my plan, which is to migrate my FTTC to FTTP where the PPP session might not immediately get moved over?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 01:27:04 AM »

On this Openreach full fibre installation video at 1:42 in to the video he says about testing the connection on one of the customers devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDl0-KkPy8

I'm sure I've seen a similar message when FTTC connections first came out.

I'm thinking this doesn't happen?

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 09:46:30 AM »

I'm thinking this doesn't happen?

It did happen to me, as per video. OR Engineer came in, looked where I wanted ONT, installed ONT, working inside & outside property. Once he was happy with his tests, he asked for me to test with my equipment (router & laptop running speedtest), whilst he put tools back in van, did some 'paper work' in van, came back 10 minutes later and checked I was happy with connection.

It does make sense that customers test the service before OR leaves, rather than customer call later and have to have a repeat visit.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 12:07:12 PM »

On the four recent FTTP installs I have witnessed (family & friends), one actually by OR, three by OR sub-contractors, there was no real insistance on carring out a speed test by the installing engineers but on all occasions they appeared keen and certainly were willing to witness my LAN connected laptop PC speed test, the OR sub-contract engineers all actually photographed the results for their records.

As "craigski" has said, it makes sense to ensure that the contracted speeds are available before the installing engineer departs and all parties are happy with the installation.
As I found out with my sister's FTTP installation, related at length here:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26339.0.html
It's much more difficult to resolve any issues after the installation has been completed and perceived to have been accepted.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 12:49:44 PM »

I'm going to have to think of a device I can get downstairs.

My PC is upstairs connected via ethernet cables and 2 switches. I don't think the Chromebook has an ethernet connector. I'm thinking a smartphone wouldn't be able to test it either as wifi isn't a good way. Hmm.

Why can't they just look at the router stats i.e. the connected speed?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 01:13:11 PM »

Why can't they just look at the router stats i.e. the connected speed?

Because you connect at the full 2.4Gb/s down and 1.2Gb/s up that the PON has available.
Openreach simply rate limit you at the OLT.

Your router can't see the connection speed. It's just the same as if you have FTTC with a separate modem and router. The router doesn't know the connection speed.
The only thing the router knows is it is connected to the ONT at 1000/1000Mb/s, simply because they both have gigabit ports.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 01:23:01 PM »

As I found out with my sister's FTTP installation, related at length here:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26339.0.html
It's much more difficult to resolve any issues after the installation has been completed and perceived to have been accepted.

I've just been reading your thread about your sisters situation.

I agree that its reasonable that an FTTP setup should try and replicate any current FTTC setup, especially if there is no input from the EU. There didn't seem to be any reason why the sub contractor should go out of their way to start re-designing a network.

I have a feeling it's going to be MJ Quinn that does the FTTP installs around here.