Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Migrating from "legacy" Google Apps  (Read 4964 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Migrating from "legacy" Google Apps
« on: April 20, 2022, 08:29:07 AM »

Hi,

I don't know if anyone else is in this position, if so I would be interested in what they're doing.  We use the old Google Apps dating back to the day when it was offered free for up to 10 users, and we have our own domain pointed into it.  Now Google's killing off the free service, and the successor paid-for service looks a bit more expensive than I would like to pay.  Some specific things I need to find out are ..
(1) Is there an online way to move data from one Google account to another?
(2) Google appears to be offering an option to migrate from Google Apps to multiple free Gmail accounts, but I can't find any details.  Has anyone found out anything more about this?  All I can find is an option to "join the waiting list" with out any indication of what you're waiting for or whether an irreversible commitment is maid by joining.

And (3) I believe there's someone on this forum who runs an email hosting service, I would be interested in finding out more.  It's really the email and domain I am concerned about, we use Google Drive but I don't think there's any need for that to be integrated with email.

My plan B if the worst comes to the worst is to first kill off any unnecessary users from our Google Apps domain, for example we have one just for the scanner which could perfectly well be a free Gmail account.  Then if we end up having to go for Google's paid for option in the first instance it will at least keep the cost down until we migrate away fully.

Thanks, Tony S

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Migrating from "legacy" Google Apps
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 09:12:27 AM »

@d2d4j provides a great service for hosting,domain and email.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 07:09:53 PM »

Hi

I hope Kitz does not mind but I think you maybe thinking about our company

G3uiss - Many thanks for your kind words

If it is myself you were thinking about then here are a couple of links and if you need anything more, please PM or post

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Many thanks

John

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25192.0.html

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18530.0.html

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 08:52:01 AM »

I've got two friends from the What Mobile Forums in the same predicament.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 12:52:37 PM »

I found the answer to one of my questions, to see the "discounted" terms offered for those migrating from free Google Apps there's a link on the Admin Console.  Near the top there's a box headed up "Act now and switch to Google Workspace" and below that a "LEARN MORE" link which brings up this pop-up.  Effectively half price, but it's still billed per user so I would have to do quite a bit of tidying to get rid of users who were only created in order to get separate Google Drive space, like for our scanner.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 01:32:16 PM »

Just realised I didn't update this.  At the very last minute Google back tracked, and allowed non-commercial users to stay on effectively the same service as before, at no charge.  Of course I jumped on that.  However it did short change some, because for anyone who had already chosen one of the paid-for options there was no way back.  I would actually have been OK paying, but the prices they were asking were out of line for just family use.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 04:45:50 PM »

Thank you for the update.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything