Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recently had FTTP installed.  (Read 1289 times)

DANNYG

• Gaming till the end.
Recently had FTTP installed.
« on: April 16, 2022, 11:46:20 PM »

Hi.
I had ZZOOMM install 500 up/500 down maximum of 11 ping so all seems great.
However im gaming and notice the connection allways feels better after i reset the little grey box my that connects to my router.
I know that reseting my modem when i had FTTC cabinet had neggative effects and they droped my speed until i got it reset.
Does the same apply on FTTP?
Also my XBOX is the only device connected so im sure its not bloat related.
Any help would be great.
Many thanks.

redanalog

Re: Recently had FTTP installed.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 11:54:19 PM »

No real reason that it should be changing your performance. Have you considered that it might be a bit of placebo effect that resetting the device makes the performance 'feel' better?
FTTP & Copper Engineer

DANNYG

• Gaming till the end.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 12:11:27 AM »

I have perhaps it is me.
Thank you for your reply.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 12:29:43 AM »

Resetting the box shouldn't hurt anything though, other than potentially causing early failure with power surges if you're actually disconnecting the power to do it.  But then its not your problem if that box is owned by the telco/ISP. ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 08:30:48 AM »

Hi

I suspect a few things

Restarting fully the xbox would have similar outcome
xbox is using IPv6 perhaps and routing is different to Pv4 (you cannot disable IPv6 on xbox I believe)
game servers have equalised all players latency to make it fairer to all players

Many thanks

John

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 11:08:22 AM »

Xbox is a weird setup, as they made a big fuss about IPv6 right back before Xbox One launched, but even Xbox Series X wont actually function on an IPv6 only stack - it still uses IPv4 to login to Xbox Live.  Plus as I've mentioned many times, the fact it changes IP address every reboot as the UUID is generated on boot rather than once and retained until you factory reset, like every sane OS does including Windows (at least I'm fairly sure it does, not sure I've tried IPv6 on Windows).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 11:59:20 AM »

AA support IPv6-only setups by providing a NAT type server that handles requests for IPv4 addresses and domain names that oniy return IPv4 results. I forget the details but it works really well apparently, giving IPv6-oniy boxes access to IPv4.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 11:31:26 PM »

I have pfSense setup to do full DNS lookups and this was over Zen. ;)

Though that is interesting as I could configure it to bypass all that for the Xbox and just send everything over AAISP L2TP.

Of course downloads would be limited to 200Mbit and I really have the L2TP as a redundancy for remote access over a mobile link should Zen go down.  So its probably not something I would want to do.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 08:42:47 PM »

What does "feel better" mean.

But in terms of the Xbox IPv6, I know on my Series S, I could not get the online multiplayer working until I passed it native IPv6, it just wouldnt work on single stack IPv4 for Xbox Live.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 01:10:07 PM »

But in terms of the Xbox IPv6, I know on my Series S, I could not get the online multiplayer working until I passed it native IPv6, it just wouldnt work on single stack IPv4 for Xbox Live.

You were doing something wrong. It works perfect here on IPV4 (My provider doesn't do IPV6 yet).

There would be uproar if xbox live didn't work over IPV4.
Around 60% of home users still have no IPV6 from their provider last time I checked.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 04:10:09 PM »

Indeed it would be odd if Teredo failed on Xbox as you have absolutely zero control over that sort of thing.  So not sure what could possibly be going wrong there.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 09:01:48 AM »

You were doing something wrong. It works perfect here on IPV4 (My provider doesn't do IPV6 yet).

There would be uproar if xbox live didn't work over IPV4.
Around 60% of home users still have no IPV6 from their provider last time I checked.

I never said it wasnt anything to with my LAN, just that it wasnt working.

There was an issue with the Teredo tunnel used for it.