Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTR in ADSL  (Read 1598 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
FTR in ADSL
« on: April 16, 2022, 05:34:40 PM »

On this page, https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm, Kitz wrote:
Fault Threshold Rate.

Once your MSR has been set, BTw use this figure to calculate your Fault Threshold Rate which is in the region of 70% of your MSR. BTw will only investigate speed related faults if your speed drops to below the Fault Threshold Level.

I wonder why this says ‘in the region of’ ? Is it calculated as a variable fraction of some agreed max rate? I thought it was just 70% of the <whatever/> max, but I don’t know where I got that from, probably from this page but I never noticed that imprecise wording.

AA’s definition of FTR in their web pages seems to be just under 80% (~78% ?) of an older long-established max sync rate. They light up an FTR error message in a list of problem lines if a downstream synch rate goes too low, It could be based on the MLF (max load factor) as I term it, fraction of the max at which they drive the ingress into a link, and that is currently set to be 98% so if so that would explain the fact that it seems to be a bit lower, about 2%, than the round number of 80%. (That sounds like a bug to me.) I could ask them. I’m surprised that it’s doesn’t match BT’s definition of 70%. Anyway, they consider downstream synch rates of around 78% below max sync rate to be a fault. They list all slow lines at the top of the main page in clueless.aa.net.uk so you can see at a glance which are the problem lines if any.

anything