Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Do Homeplug AVs wreck VDSL2 signals?  (Read 11255 times)

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
Re: Do Homeplug AVs wreck VDSL2 signals?
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2019, 09:20:12 PM »

I'm wondering if just 1 develo homeplug set to '17a profile' would work next to the router + BT master socket, or if I would need to replace all of them. As you say, replacing all of them wouldn't be cheap, and I think my family are mostly ok with the homeplugs we have (but they get fed up with occasional disconnections).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 09:27:37 PM by cbdeakin »
Aluminium line. ECI cabinet. Fun times.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2019, 10:53:26 PM »

Just start running some cables in dude... it is the best way forward.

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2019, 05:57:39 PM »

What is the best way sideways though  :D

RTouris

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »

I'd be inclined to say crabby  :P

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2019, 07:57:56 PM »

I did some tweaking to my WIFI, such as setting to 20mhz, enabling LDPC (error correction) and Cyclic Delay Diversity (on the router) and that stabalised downloads on Epic game store at 49-52 mbps, but only when homeplugs upstairs are turned off. I think the performance is a lot better with multi connection downloads too ( I don't think most downloads are).

I still get some drops with multi threaded downloads when all homeplugs are on, but its not that bad.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:49:19 PM by cbdeakin »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »

Its possible depending on your wiring and the homeplugs used there will be no impact.  However I dont suggest using them.  Choose between ethernet or wifi, modern wifi standards should be fast enough now days.

My sister had a ADSL2+ line which was god like, and it was synced at something like 4meg, when the homeplugs were unplugged it synced at the full speed and a tiny fraction of errors.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »

Yes, they absolutely destroyed my FTTC line.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2022, 10:16:41 AM »

I thought I'd add my observations based on using various Devolo powerline adapters.

With ADSL2+, no major impact of Devolo adapters on such lines.

VDSL2:

- Devolo dLAN 1200 (HomePlug AV2 standard) - major impact on the quality of the line, resulting in errors and potential disconnections, regardless of SISO/MIMO profiles (17a)

- Devolo Magic 1 (g.hn standard) - no impact on the quality of the line, plus there's an option of integration with Fritzboxes via the TR064 protocol (impact tested *without* integration). The newer g.hn standard stops powerline adapters from using overlapping frequencies, especially if there's interference, and also to use higher frequencies. As far as I know, there's a limited number of routers that can offer this integration with Devolo plugs.

- Devolo Magic 2 and Mesh WiFi, i.e. the plugs that use the new g.hn standard can do that.

The following resources may help forum members in case they encounter problems. Please note that every set up is different and you may be in a fortunate position not to have any impact of dLAN 1200 on your VDSL line because of the way your set up works:

https://www.devolo.de/ratgeber/vdsl-dim

https://www.devolo.co.uk/about-devolo/press/en-devolo-optimises-the-interaction-between-vdsl-and-powerline-communication

https://www.allnet.de/en/allnet-brand/produkte/pointopoint/ghn-lan-over-2-wire-and-coaxial/

https://homegridforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/hKg8.pdf

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 11:20:07 AM by Edinburgh_lad »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]