Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lockdown Privacy Block trackers, ads, and badware — free and open source  (Read 3436 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Found this while discovering quad9 DNS over TLS and HTTPS profiles for iOS https://support.quad9.net/hc/en-us/articles/360057889591-Setup-iOS-DNS-over-HTTPS-or-DNS-over-TLS

https://lockdownprivacy.com/

Going to test, back soon.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

For a transparently operated VPN I can see everything except how on earth they're paying for this?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

DaveC

• Reg Member

For a transparently operated VPN I can see everything except how on earth they're paying for this?

If you install the app and try and activate the VPN, you'll see it's not free - it's £53.99 per year (with a one week free trial).

Their website keeps repeating the phrase "free and open source" but if you pay attention, this is only applied to the firewall features, not the VPN.   But it's very misleading, which doesn't endear me to them.  I couldn't see any mention of costs in the app store description.

They claim transparency, but are far from it when comes to the VPN cost.

Now deleted.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

That makes more sense but definitely a bad look to mention transparency so much yet hide the price.

I also think their claims of other VPNs being closed is rather disingenuous considering most use OpenVPN and/or Wireguard.

The real proof of the pudding is in what happens to your data AFTER that point, which granted they go into detail about their auditing, but then other VPNs claim to be independently audited too.  From a customers point of view, how do I know their auditors are better than any other VPNs auditors?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 02:59:37 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything