Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: AAISP Latency Spikes  (Read 6005 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: AAISP Latency Spikes
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 11:15:35 AM »

Well it only takes a single poll with high ping to create a yellow spike, a better indicator is the blue which represents the average, if thats quite thick compared to the green, then that will likely indicate consistent jitter.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 12:03:57 PM »

I guess my main gripe, is why is an ISP that seems to pride itself on its network, not that bothered about it? If they were a bargain basement ISP, I’d just accept it. Sky didn’t seem to present that issue. That’s why I don’t buy the idea that because the line is in training, that could be what is causing the spikes. I had interleaving on with Sky, no issues there.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 12:21:12 PM »

I guess because it’s probably not a fault, more what @chrys said. It’s very sensitive to network performance, not really an indicator of a fault.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 12:39:17 PM »

I guess my main gripe, is why is an ISP that seems to pride itself on its network, not that bothered about it? If they were a bargain basement ISP, I’d just accept it. Sky didn’t seem to present that issue. That’s why I don’t buy the idea that because the line is in training, that could be what is causing the spikes. I had interleaving on with Sky, no issues there.

The problem with judging your line based on ping is that Sky could simply prioritise pings different on their core network to give the illusion of lower latency, especially if you're using their router where they could enable QoS to allow ping priority over other traffic.  They could be completely congested and have a flat-line TBB graph if they configured the core routers to do so, thus why its only a rough guide.

As mentioned, the blue is the key as its the average ping time response.  On a network obeying net neutrality, blue should be a good indication of jitter, if its barely visible it means pings are consistently around the same and the yellow as mentioned it just the odd response or two getting delayed for any number of reasons.  Same with red, it just means some responses didn't return in the timeout window which I'd imagine is quite short considering how often you need to ping to generate the graphs, and the graphs scale would be useless if they expanded to show the odd 2-3 second delayed responses.

Notice even my VPS in a data centre is not free from yellow spikes:

My Zen line (remember my router is grossly overpowered so is more likely to respond quicker):

Now compare that to a mobile Internet connection:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 12:48:29 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 06:07:16 PM »

A test would be to get a TBB pingbox to monitor a server at AA located where there’s very high bandwidth from there to the rest of the internet. You could compare the results of the TBB monitoring with ‘manual’ ping timings from elsewhere into that AA central server. With this I’m trying to establish whether or not there are queuing delays at the TBB pingbox or inside TBB’s network.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 05:53:32 AM »

Might also be worth looking at https://control.aa.net.uk/.

My connection on there latency isnt spiky.

On my main smokeping which checks pings to my VDSL from germany, there is some spikes but they nothing like whats on TBB. 

So it is important to not just rely on one thing as a performance metric, for me as my connection works well day to day for what I use it for its fine, and SSH command line is really sensitive to both jitter and packet loss, so I would notice on that if things were bad.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 09:53:15 AM »

This is worth a read to help clarify why you are seeing more 'yellow' than you would like:

https://www.iwl.com/idocs/limitations-of-icmp-echo-for-network-measurement

Many people assume that ICMP Echo, more familiar as "ping", is a valid tool for measuring the performance and behavior of the internet.

That assumption is incorrect. Ping is a tool of value mainly for  determining whether connectivity exists or not. Ping is a weak tool for  measuring delay, variation in delay (jitter), and throughput.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2022, 10:15:08 AM »

I wonder how games usually do it.  If they were sensible, they would use their own method by sending UDP packets over the actual port and protocol the game uses, the only way to get the true latency to the game server.

This seems useful too: https://kb.vander.host/operating-systems/how-to-do-udp-ping-with-linux/
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »

Might also be worth looking at https://control.aa.net.uk/.

My connection on there latency isnt spiky.

On my main smokeping which checks pings to my VDSL from germany, there is some spikes but they nothing like whats on TBB. 

So it is important to not just rely on one thing as a performance metric, for me as my connection works well day to day for what I use it for its fine, and SSH command line is really sensitive to both jitter and packet loss, so I would notice on that if things were bad.

This is the CQM for today so far. Even that is spiky at times, around 10am to 12pm ish. Yet the connection was mostly idle. Those spikes for max latency are showing as over 400ms. Admittedly, I haven't come across any noticable issues.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »

Have you tried putting a different modem on the line?

The intermittent yellow spiking on TBB graphs is a known 'feature' for several BCM based modems.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2022, 09:36:34 AM »

The intermittent yellow spiking on TBB graphs is a known 'feature' for several BCM based modems.
I’ve gone back to using a Draytek Vigor 130, seems to be more stable on my line.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2022, 10:49:39 AM »

Here are the AA CQM graphs for the most recent 24 hours for two of my lines (using PPP LCP ‘echo requests’):

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2022, 11:04:01 AM »

Wasnt aware of that, interesting Kitz.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2022, 11:25:27 AM »

Jon21 wrote:
> That’s why I don’t buy the idea that because the line is in training, that could be what is causing the spikes.

I agree. You were fobbed off there, and I think you should consider complaining about a violation of AA’s stated ‘no bulls***’ policy. That response was not worthy of AA, and maybe the person you spoke to believed what they said in, which case the right answer should have been ‘I don’t know, I’ll ask Stuart’, not making up a load of random nonsense. They are allowed to not know some things. They don’t always get things right and they’ve really screwed up for me in the past at times but have always put things right and had a great attitude. (For example there was a huge amount of trouble once with a switch they sold me because of config problems, and it was out of action for a week, but I appreciated the huge difficulty of the diagnosis task, and was myself no hero in that I couldn’t solve it either, so I was very supportive of their problems.)

As for the problems with the network, I don’t agree. I’m not seeing them. But my network is not the same as yours.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2022, 11:37:22 AM »

Did AAISP really say it was down to line training? Missed that bit sorry, yeah as Weaver said bounce that back to them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6