Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky Ultrafast - Potential REIN Issue  (Read 682 times)

coakema

• Just arrived
Sky Ultrafast - Potential REIN Issue
« on: June 01, 2022, 02:09:19 PM »

Hello all,

Great site and i have been reading through the advice and comments on here for some time.
I would like to say, whilst i do have a little tech knowledge, I'm by far an expert ! So apologies if some of what i ask is somewhat basic.

I am a Sky Ultrafast customer with a sold connection of 145Mb down 20Mb Up. I have been on this for approximately 2 years and have had considerable issues over this time. My property is approximately 200m from the cab

I have had the locals from the cab check to ensure copper throughout, equipment in cab changed x 2, old circa 1970's cable local to property replaced (and presented in different location), new master sockets (numerous) and all still to no avail.

Last openreach engineer concluded that it was REIN in property and left it like that. Now Sky wont get involved and i cant contract direct to openreach as they're not my ISP! So
I'm on my own ! The openreach engineer concluded it was REIN on the basis he could see "errors" when my electrical supply was on and no "errors" when it was off. I do not know what "errors" he was referring to.

Symptoms
Noise margin (on sky hub router) will start at @3dB, speed close to sold values.
Approximately 2 to weeks later, the Noise margin will increase by a small level - No real notable difference
Noise margin continues to elevate anywhere up to 12dB. Speed then drops accordingly.
Only when the noise margin is very high and speed is significantly limited do i then experience drop outs

A reset of the DLM will inevitably bring the noise margin back down and then the cycle commences again.
Last time, i disconnected the front of the master socket (filtered fascia mk4 G.Fast) and this immediately reset the Noise Margin and while its slowly increasing its been low for over 6 weeks now.

I have checked around my property with an AM radio and whilst I did find a couple of power supplies that were making a noise, switching these off make no difference whatsoever. And other than that, I've not been able to find anything in my property.

I see that use of DSLstats may be beneficial, but as this is quite old, I'm not sure if this would assist with Ultrafast / G.Fast and the Sky hub router?

I can upload copies of my router stats if this would be of assistance?

I am also considering installing a BT filtered connection upstream of the master socket to "double" filter. Which i have seen may be undertaken in extreme cases, but am unsure if this is worthwhile or not?

Any advice that could be offered would be appreciated to help me move forward and detect or resolve whats going on

Thanks

Martin

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Sky Ultrafast - Potential REIN Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 02:38:22 PM »

Welcome to kitz forum,

Any chance of a local network breakdown, have you got a separate g.fast modem and then a sky router, or are you using an all in one router?

coakema

• Just arrived
Re: Sky Ultrafast - Potential REIN Issue
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 01:21:25 PM »

@meritez

Thanks for the reply.

Its a straight forward set up - Incoming line direct to BT Master Socket (filtered fascia). Out of g.fast port to the Sky Hub router which is an all in one. The hub / router is the Sky SR204

Thanks

Martin

anything