Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: AAISP Latency Spikes  (Read 5904 times)

Jon21

• Reg Member
AAISP Latency Spikes
« on: March 28, 2022, 11:36:05 PM »

[Moderator note: This post and all that follow have been split off from the "Are Zen still recommended?" topic.]

[In the end] I’ve gone with AAISP again. Ironically, there one of the cheapest to actually get the line migrated away from Sky (the actual taking over the line cost, not the ongoing monthly cost). On 6 month initial term, so will re-evaluate then.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 02:40:14 PM by burakkucat »

Jon21

• Reg Member
Re: AAISP Latency Spikes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 09:24:21 AM »

Migrated over to AAISP just after midnight and tbh, the BQM is a jittery mess. No idea why there’s so many latency spikes, surely not normal?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »

Have you looked at the latency in clueless.aa.net.uk ?

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 09:54:41 AM »

Have you looked at the latency in clueless.aa.net.uk ?
That appears to show a flat line for the same time period. Why would the BQM be spikey then? Nothing has changed with regards to equipment on my end. Only thing that was changed was the login details.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 10:08:54 AM »

On FTTP does it make any difference, really? Same service, same fibre, all you're paying for is the same engineer to come round and fix it which it will rarely need.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 10:15:18 AM »

On FTTP does it make any difference, really? Same service, same fibre, all you're paying for is the same engineer to come round and fix it which it will rarely need.
Whilst I agree if your on FTTP, AAISP probably wouldn’t be first choice. Is there really any need to come in to every thread that AAISP are mentioned and trash it? You don’t like them, that’s fine, it’s your money, you can choose whoever.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 11:20:51 AM »

What a strange response!

The spikes on the graph I can’t believe would affect usage at all really and it will always depend on routing.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 11:51:17 AM »

Whilst I agree if your on FTTP, AAISP probably wouldn’t be first choice. Is there really any need to come in to every thread that AAISP are mentioned and trash it? You don’t like them, that’s fine, it’s your money, you can choose whoever.

I was talking about Zen.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 11:56:20 AM »

I was talking about Zen.
My apologies. I guess it depends if you need a static IP or some other features as to whether it would be worth it over another provider (for both FTTC/P).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 12:18:35 PM »

My apologies. I guess it depends if you need a static IP or some other features as to whether it would be worth it over another provider (for both FTTC/P).

Static IP is certainly a big reason my options are limited, though I have no complaints about Zen, especially compared to the unreliability of Lebara and Three.  I don't know how anyone copes with only mobile Internet as their broadband connection.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 01:23:00 PM »

That appears to show a flat line for the same time period. Why would the BQM be spikey then? Nothing has changed with regards to equipment on my end. Only thing that was changed was the login details.
Tracert and a ping -t don't show the spikes. Had a quick chat on IRC, as it's not showing on the CQM and the line is in "training", I haven't really got any further. Bit disappointed to be honest. Clearly something different between how pings are responded to on the BQM between Sky and AAISP.

Might be worth the thread being split?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 03:24:09 PM »

The problem with TBB BQM is there could be a problem specifically between your ISP and TBB which would show spikes where 99% of the time you would be taking a different path to other sites so not have the problem.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 06:02:12 PM »

The problem with TBB BQM is there could be a problem specifically between your ISP and TBB which would show spikes where 99% of the time you would be taking a different path to other sites so not have the problem.
True. Perhaps it’s a problem that A&A just aren’t aware of. Just seemed to get stonewalled with doesn’t show on the CQM and your line is in training, which seems a bit more of a first line response to me. I see Chrysalis BQM also shows similar.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 03:02:21 AM »

Migrated over to AAISP just after midnight and tbh, the BQM is a jittery mess. No idea why there’s so many latency spikes, surely not normal?

Mine is similar.  10+ years ago I would care more, but ultimately my ssh is still smooth, and I dont have any throughput or streaming issues so I accept it.  Graphs in my sig.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 08:55:19 AM »

Mine was similar on FTTC on both lines. That was with Zen previously with Plusnet it was slightly worse. I never noticed anything from the spike’s while using the connection
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything